Ten - (edited)

"And all at once, you are the one I have been waiting for."

September 17th

The days went by quicker than ever before. Mattheo and I have been working on the task every evening, and even though we haven't gotten that far yet, we are still getting somewhere. Our evenings are mainly based on cold talks at the astronomy tower, talking about how to kill someone who most definitely doesn't deserve it. I have seen Draco coming back late every morning with huge bags under his eyes, looking like he has gotten hit all over again. He works even more brutally than us with the cabinet, and I am worried that the work is too much for him to do alone. We barely talk about it anymore; it's routine at this point. It's the same thing every day. We go to our classes, eat, do our tasks, and try to sleep the little we get. When it comes to Theo and I... Well, we are still us. I try to spend as much time as possible with him, but it's hard when I am also trying to distance him from the whole death eater thing. Even if I want to spend my days and nights by his side, I must give it up for his safety.

"I can't believe you didn't show up for the party? Are you sure you are alive? You look pretty dead to me." Iris jokes as we walk towards the common room back from dinner. When it comes to my best friend, things are difficult. She is the only one in our group who doesn't know about the death eater thing, and she is also the one I am sharing a room with and have to lie to the most.

"I have told you I had homework to do." She rolls her eyes, and I feel the same old aching feeling in my chest by lying to her. Iris is the most amazing friend ever, and she really wouldn't hurt a bug if she didn't try to kill me. Lying to her and being a bad friend in times like this makes the job the hardest. If I could tell anyone, it would be her.

"I know, I know, it's just-" She stops staring at me with eyes that someone would give when losing their dog after a beautiful fifteen years together. Her blonde hair is in a ponytail, and her blue eyes look sad, not the same old smile she always has.

"I miss you, okay? I have barely seen you the first two weeks here. And that says a lot, seeing as we share a dorm." My gaze meets the floor as I feel ashamed of how I have treated her. Sure, this is what I must do, but completely ignoring her every day and shutting her off? It is not fair, not when I can at least try to be friendly and give her a smile every now and then. She deserves it, she really does. She is the most brilliant girl I know.

"I know, and I am sorry about that. I have spent a lot of time with Theo.-" Something in her eyes changes, and her brow raises while she interrupts me.

"Really? Is that why Theo and I have been alone every night for the last week? I have been helping him a lot, Rosie. I know the whole relationship is new to you, but when did you last hug him? Or kissed him? Or even spent some goddamn time with him." Three days ago, we went to the cliffs. We didn't talk; we just sat there for hours, enjoying our time.

"That is what I am talking about." She steps closer to me, her right hand correcting the hair falling in front of my face while giving me a sad smile.

"Look, you are my best friend in the world, Rosie. I love you, and I would do anything for you. I know you miss her. Can you at least let me help you?" I look at her. She thinks this is about my mother. Now that I think about it, I have barely had time to think about her lately. And now, when I do, it's like my entire world fell apart again. It's a weird feeling losing a parent, especially someone you were so close with. It's like losing a part of your soul like you lose the one best friend that won't even be replaced.

"I dont know what to do, Iris." I feel the tears running down my cheeks as I shrug. It's been a while since I last needed a hug like this. She embraces my body as she also holds my heart in her hands, my sadness in her warm arms and her comfort surrounding every part of me.