bad dreams

You were lying in your bed, cuddled up with Damiano. You used his chest as a pillow and curled up your arms and legs in one another. You could feel his heart beating next to yours. Every heart beat was synchronized with yours.

Suddenly, his heart starts beating faster, and you can feel his rib cage expanding as he breathes heavily. You believe this is something normal, that happens because he's tired and smokes cigarettes on the daily. You decide to not pay any more attention to it.

But the breathing gets heavier and you start to feel his body temperature rise. Damiano tosses and turns which makes your bodies separate from one another. He's panting at this point, as well as tears falling down his cheeks. He lets out a small gasp for air.

You suddenly recognize this behavior. He's having another bad dream. You rise to a sitting position and shift your body close to his.

"Damiano, cucciolo, wake up," you say as you shake his body.

He's still sleeping. The thought of him experiencing bad things in the dream and not waking up stresses you out.

"Damià, please you have to wake up." You keep shaking his body and gently hitting his cheeks.

He's muttering something inaudible, and more tears are falling down his face and reaching his neck.

You break into tears, and after many tries of waking him up, you run to the kitchen and grab a glass of water.

You run back to your shared bedroom and put the ceiling light on. You walk towards the edge of the bed, and pour a bit of the water on his chest.

Damiano wakes up instantly, and looks at you in despair.

"Thank God. You were having bad dream amore," you say as you push his body closer to the middle of the bed so that you can sit on the edge.

Damiano sits up, rubbing his hands over his face, neck and chest.

"Did- did i do this?" he says, pointing at the water all over his upper body.

"Nono, i mean- you were crying but other than that it's my mess amore, don't worry," you say as you take off your oversized tshirt and gently wipe off the water off of his body.

He sighs, running his hands through his hair.

"Bambino. What happened in your dream?"

Damiano sits up, and pulls you into a hug. His head falls just into the right place on your shoulder. It's crazy how your bodies complete one another.

"Just the usual ones," he says with grave disappointment. You can tell how hurt he is by his voice.

"The drug accusations?" you say as you tilt your head.

He refrains from the hug and grabs your hands firmly.

"No. The bad energy statements."

Damiano breaks down and collapses on your chest, holding your neck as if he was drowning.

"They think i radiate evil energy."

Your heart breaks as he says that. You can feel the heart ache completely taking over your body. It's like you're floating in the air and all you can feel is your heart being torn apart.

After Eurovision, some people wrote all over social media that Damiano supposedly radiated bad energy of some kind of way. And unfortunately he had come across that.

You grab his face so that you are staring into each other's eyes. None of you can see clearly thanks to the tears in your eyes.

"Schhh. Don't, don't ever think that that is true. Don't you ever-" you say as you put your finger on his soaked lips.

"They don't know what they are talking about. They fear the unknown. They have never seen such a badass man before, and that scares them. You own who you are baby, own it."

Damiano looks at you and smiles, widely.

"You know who you are. I know who you are, and so does everyone around you. And that's all that matters, amore."

"You are right. You are so right as always bambina," he says as he kisses your forehead.

"I know," you say cheekily and smirk.

"And what was that genius lyrics you wrote? Something like 'non mi frega un cazzo'..."

"C'ho zero da dimostrarvi," Damiano says as he giggles.

"Exactly," you say as you use both your hands to wipe off the excess tears off his face.

"Ma dimmi, did you really throw water on me?" he says as he bursts into a laugh.

The both of you laugh for a good minute until you admit what you've done, which results in more laughs.

His laughs is the most beautiful sound you have ever heard. It gives you warmth, purpose and comfort.

You bop his nose and kiss it. You stare in his beautiful eyes, as you think of what a precious human being he is. The most pure, kind, warm-hearted and soft person you have ever met.

You know that those statements are still on his mind, and that his laughs possibly can't be all real right now. But you also know that some day it will get better. All you can do now is hug him tightly, and tickle his back until he falls asleep again.