CHAPTER 9

authors note:

If you guys can, please message me on insta! I would love to make some new friends and get to know you better. xox

insta: gracewrites0 

***

Darkness has always lingered in my veins.

From being a mere child to almost an adult, death has seemed somewhat familiar to my mind. The thoughts run around like a child at a carnival tempted by everything she sees, hears and touches. No way to tell her no or to stop; she keeps going.

Turning off the warm shower water, I step out onto my bathmat and dry myself. Slowly pulling my pyjamas on, I notice how my body is aching from pulling Justin into the woods. With my legs barely moving, my arms feeling heavy, and my head pounding, I made my way to my bed.

Everything was a dare.

I kept replaying in my mind how he knew and never told me. One full year we had dated, and the whole time he had me fooled. How could I be so stupid? I hide bodies in my free time, and yet I don't notice I'm being played?

I wanted to scream into my pillow as loud as I possibly could, but I heard the sound of a door opening down the hall.

Knock

Knock

Knock

I let out a quiet come in.

I looked up into my mother's eyes and noticed she had been crying. Quick to my feet, I pull her into a hug.

"What's wrong, mom? Did something happen with you and dad-" Before I could even finish what I was saying, she started sobbing uncontrollably.

Between breaths, mom responded. "It's-it's not him. The police f-found another b-b-body." She exclaimed and started to sob again.

"Shhh, It's okay, mom." I comforted her. "Take deep breaths and try to tell me some more."

"I can't believe it happened to us."

Confused, I loosened my grip and looked deep into her brown eyes. "What happened to us, ma?"

"Justin. He's d-dead."

Pause.

Now, I suppose I don't want to spend the rest of my life in prison. So, In that case, I have to act as if I didn't just throw his body off a cliff and then kiss a killer who happens to be Sammy's older brother.

Therefore, after however many years it has been since I last cried, I must fake my tears to try not to look guilty, and that is going to be incredibly hard.

Let's just hope it works.

Carry on...

I make myself stammer back, making sure my eyes are wide, and my mouth is parted. I let my hands fall on top of each other over my mouth, allowing a soft fake sob to release from the back of my throat. No tears fell, which means my mom will probably think I'm just in shock.

"I-I'm so sorry, my dear Lily, I'm so sorry." She kept repeating over and over again.

"Mom, I-I would like to be alone right now, is that okay?" I asked softly.

She looked up at me through her tear-stained eyelashes and responded unsurely. "I don't think you should be alone right now, but I'll give you space. Also, thank you for cleaning the house last night. Next time don't use as many products as you did. I had to light a candle to stop the smell. Call out if you need me. I'm so sorry, Lily." She said before walking out the door.