Chapter thirty five: Almost time

Before the time for releasing the report to the world came, I decided I should break the news to my friends. I wasn't usually the type of person who liked sending long texts. Imogen called them "text novels" and told me she didn't have the patience to read one from start to finish. But there was really no other way I could go about telling them, especially after being cryptic for so long.

"To Imogen and Ava,

I'm sorry I haven't texted you a lot lately. There's been a lot going on, and you're probably confused about where I am or what happened to me. I can't explain it all now, but tomorrow you will probably see a story going viral online. It's about something Acheron did to Mir-Tek back in 2035, something really serious. If everything goes right, it will end Acheron's "golden age." It might even cause the company to lose its monopoly over England, or completely fall apart. This might seem hard to believe, but I have something I need to tell you that's even harder. I was actually caught up in this plot against Mir-Tek, and I never knew until just a few days ago. I was so young I wasn't able to remember for years. But all my health problems I have now were caused by being exposed to a poison -- one of the most dangerous ones in the world. I'll be able to explain everything in more detail once the story is released tomorrow. I think once you read it, it will help you understand who I am/who I was.

I get it if you can't believe me. I wouldn't believe me if I was you. But it's the truth, and it's basically the only truth I've ever been told. I can't tell you where I am - I wish I could - but you don't need to worry about me. I'm safe, and I'm happy here, and I hope you two are both doing good too.

Miss you, <3 <3 <3

Love, Gracie/Liza

After I had sent that message, I went to text Imogen individually.

PS, this feels very weird to say, but I'm kind of... rich now... And after the dust settles from the viral story, I was wondering if you'd want any help with paying for your school or your family's rent or anything else? I'd totally understand why you'd not be on board with that, you'd be accepting Russian oligarch money after all, but I just thought I'd ask.

I slipped my phone back into my pocket and told myself not to check it too often. I hoped Imogen would accept my help, but even if she didn't, Acheron falling from grace would do her and her family good. The same couldn't be said for Ava. The vacuum left by Acheron would be hard to fill. Ava had been right when she said that the end of Acheron would mean most people in Grays would be out of work, including her parents.

. . .

Later that evening we ate soup for dinner together at the long table. It seemed like everyone had questions they wanted to ask Irina.

"What do you think will happen once Acheron gets caught?" I said, trying hard to control the excitement in my voice. "Do you think there will be a big trial, at the Hague or something else like that?"

"That is what I wish," Irina said. "But I do not know what will happen. A criminal investigation is what should follow the report, but the largest courts in Europe only try governmental leaders -- leaders of authoritarian regimes that have committed crimes against humanity. The only true crimes I can prove Acheron committed are localized -- against my family only. The rest are purely about unethical practices in how Acheron treats its employees and small businesses. And these are contested by everyone in higher levels of the company. They could never make it into court."

Svetlana said something in Russian I couldn't understand and Irina replied, before turning to me to translate it. "Sveta is right to say corporations do have as much influence as governments now. But no one wants to admit that. They are immune to so much. A hearing at the Hague would not be likely. Even if the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons was to get involved in an investigation of Eryngo -- the weapons producer -- and Acheron itself."

"I never thought I would see Mir-Tek finally becoming more powerful than Acheron," Vera said, as she turned towards Irina with a warm smile. "But thanks to you, I might."

"Yes, but Mir-Tek doesn't need any more profits," Irina said. "When they first learn about the report, AcheronNews will say I have made this up as campaign to profit from their company's downfall. But that is not true. If the world can be the way I think it should be, there would be no corporations as powerful as Acheron or Mir-Tek again."