| THIRTEEN |

Out of nowhere, blonde fledgeling rushed silently at me. Ray was busy fending off five of them at the same time with others coming to take their place once they were down.

Deciding not to distract him, I turned back to the racing fledgeling who was met with a kick to his midriff. At the same time, another hit the back of my right knee driving me to the ground.

Quickly, I broke the fall with my hand but the damage was already done. I was down. From the throb on my wrists, I knew I was injured too.

Trying to stand up proved futile as three fledgelings held me down. I struggled to break free but it was impossible to pull my small figure away from three fledglings. It only made my wrists throb even more.

"Let go!" I yelled in frustration

Ray shoved all the fledgelings aside to help me up but it turned out that turning his back to them was the worst thing he could have done at that moment as numerous fledgelings jumped him.

"Ray!" I yelled in horror as he was no longer seen.

With a roar, he pushed them off him but was quickly covered by more fledgelings. I watched the sheer display of power as he ripped through them.

His fangs ripped out throats and his claws slashed muscles and limbs. But it wasn't enough, it was never enough. No matter how much he fought and clawed, he couldn't reach me.

My heart broke at the sight of his desperate hazel orbs. He whined lowly and I smiled just as the fledglings snatched me up. I didn't struggle this time. It was of no use.

"It's okay," I whispered but I knew he heard me as his pointy ears moved turned towards me.

Ray shook his head, refusing to agree to my barely audible agreement of defeat. They began to pull me away.

He growled, struggling even more and finally pushed them off. He manage three steps but was quickly pinned back to the ground by more fledgelings, even more than before.

'It wasn't your fault," I thought as I went farther away from him.

The pain from my wrists increased till it became unbearable. The fledgelings pulled me not knowing the pain they caused. I didn't try to draw their attention to it's as it would have been of no use. They were under Luciana's control and wouldn't have listened to anyone else.

I winced as the fledgeling pulled harder, sending a blinding pain to my arm. I thought of the possibilities of what Luciana had in store for me but none was pleasant. The last thought caused a whimper to flee my lips. Just then, a powerful roar ripped through the forest and I blacked out.

(•)

Raymond Black

The sound of Felicity's whimper had my Lycan breaking past our mental block and taking full control of my mind. I found myself in the back seat of my body's engine.

He surged through our power capacity, absorbed our combined energy and when that was taken, he tapped into our power reserve.

With the help of all that energy, he shoved off all the fledgelings holding us down, burst out of their hold and rushed towards Felicity.

He snatched her away from the fledgelings, secured her in his arms, and began to run. If Felicity was awake, she would have been so ruffled as my Lycan was a lot faster than me in my human form.

Felicity remained still as my Lycan kept on running non-stop. We didn't bother looking back as we knew we had outrun the fledgelings by so many miles.

Our attention was in front of us and the passed out little human in our arms. My Lycan got anxious as he took in her passed out state but he settled on feeling the rise and fall of her chest.

The sound of her heartbeat soothed his troubled mind. She probably fainted due to shock. It was understandable due to everything she had been through the past few days.

My Lycan glanced at her for a split second, almost sending us tumbling forward. His attachment to her was annoying but I chose to ignore it. It was best that way. The last thing I would want is for us to fight.

No plans were made, we had only one choice and my Lycan knew where to go. It was the only place we would go so he ran nonstop till he got to Richard's cabin.

His legs were tired and his body weak, yet he did not stop there, he carried an unconscious Felicity across the threshold of the cabin and into the house.

We had used up almost all our energy in getting away from the tower of fledgelings. Richard looked up from his favourite seat to see us at his door and he sighed.

It wasn't the first time he was seeing us in our Lycan form. He was the one who helped us shift for the first time. He stood up and approached us, his gaze falling on Felicity.

"I see," was what he said, and I knew he had read my mind.

Blasted demi-gods.

"Place her on the couch," he ordered and my Lycan moved to do as he said.

Richard had just begun to edge closer to Felicity when my Lycan let out a warning growl.

I tried to get him to calm down but to no avail as he was more interested in ensuring that Richard stayed away from Felicity. Knowing how possessive my Lycan can be, Richard raised both arms and moved back.

"I just want to take a look at her. See if she is alright," Richard assured.

My Lycan looked from Richard to Felicity a few times before nodding and stepping back. He bandaged her wrist and the scraps on her body then declared her to be in good condition. He said she passed out in fear and shock. Only then did my Lycan let me shift back.

"Here, get your junk out of my face," Richard instructed while handing some clothes over to me.

Putting them on, I saw that the clothes fit a little too snugly on me as I was broader than Richard and a few inches taller too. I couldn't complain. My gaze rested on Felicity once more.

I used to hate my father so much for risking everything for a human. When he died, I resented him so much but now I see why –feel why– and I didn't like the feeling.

The first time I met Felicity, I felt an innate feeling of protectiveness for her and when I rescued her from those angry villagers, it felt so good that I began to question my sanity.

With my Lycan's instant attraction to her, everything was even more heightened. Protecting her felt instinctive.

Frustrated by our attraction to her, I began to tease her to cover everything up. If this was what my father felt for Lilian then I couldn't blame him.

"It's called imprinting," Richard said all of a sudden.

"What?"

"Your Lycan has chosen her. He imprinted on her the moment he met her," he explained and I frowned.

"I know about imprinting but what I don't know is why would my Lycan imprint on a human?" I asked, looking at my Lycan's chosen female who was sleeping without knowing the unrest she caused me.

Why did my Lycan have to choose now?

Why her?

(•)

Thank you for reading.