| FOURTEEN |

Raymond Black

"Don't pin it all on him. For imprinting to work, both the Lycan and human sides have to be attracted to the person," Richard said, and then chuckled.

I glared at Richard for invading my thoughts yet again. Even after knowing him for so long, I hadn't gotten used to him being constantly in my head. He only chuckled some more, not seeming to be the least bothered.

Just then, I heard a clap of thunder and looked outside to see the sky turning dark with the promise of rainfall. The weather changed too quickly and besides, it wasn't the rainy season. The clouds darkened with lightning flashing inside them. It was eerie and my Lycan was unsettled, something didn't feel right.

"Indeed, something isn't right. Something has awakened, something powerful and evil," Richard commented with a neutral look on his face.

It could only be one person, Luciana. She must have gotten the book from Helen. My worried gaze fell on Felicity again. How do I protect her?

Knowing the effect she had on me and what it could mean for me If she got hurt, I had no choice but to protect her. Even if I had a choice, I would still choose to protect her.

"Lucianna has caused an unbalance in the world and the effects are dire that the gods won't be able to remedy it. She has taken more than she can keep. This is bad," he stated, quickly touching his jaw.

"How bad?" I asked, my eyes drifting again to the sleeping Princess who was in so much danger but was sleeping peacefully.

Looking back at Richard, I saw him still looking outside. The rain had begun to drizzle. It seemed like the gods were showing their displeasure with mankind for failing to protect themselves. I had a feeling that this was just the beginning of a difficult situation. A situation that I had no way to handle.

Richard sighed, turning to set his white eyes on me. He stared at me for some time without replying. I raised a brow, unnerved by his silence and he sighed again before replying. And his reply irked me.

"The world is in no way prepared for what is to come."

(•)

I knew something was not right the moment I woke up. The pouring rain was one and another was the gloom in the air. It was so thick that anyone could feel it. Something had happened somewhere. After Richard had re-bandaged my wrist, we sat around the living room to discuss our next step. I was looking for a chance to get Ray alone so I could thank him but at that moment, there were other things far more important.

"I have to find the woman I spoke to on the phone. She has some answers I need. If Luciana already has the book, I can't go back to get Helen until I know what Luciana wants from me."

"And you plan to do that how?" Ray asked with a frown.

"I still have some cash with me, I will try to reach the woman, find out where she is and go there," I replied, not having the slightest bit of idea how to accomplish the last part or everything.

It surprised me how I was still trying. After what I went through, I should have been running for the hills but I wasn't. The need to uncover the truth brewed continuously in me and I couldn't help it. It was either stupidity or stubbornness, I didn't know.

"How about both?" Richard asked, suddenly reminding me that he could read minds.

Why then didn't he read Luciana's mind and tell us what was in her head?

"I couldn't get into her mind. It was strange as I knew she was human," he explained, making me suspect she used some sort of mental block. Now I understood why he kept on staring at her.

Mental blocking took a lot of time and practice to achieve. To be able to do it quickly and hold it for long required some level of expertise. Luciana must have been preparing for anything and everything. This added to the advantages she had over us.

Well, damn.

"Damn indeed," Richard commented and I sighed, feeling a headache forming at the sides of my head.

Ray kept on staring at us weirdly. He had been staring at me weirdly since I woke up. Was he mad at me or something?

"Something," Richard said and I laughed.

Ray scowled. "If you two are done having your mental conversation, you can fill me in."

"We don't have time for that, Ray." I Iooked back at Richard. "Do you have a cell phone?"

"Yes but I haven't used it in years. Hopefully, it still works," he replied, leaving the room.

Ray kept on scowling and glaring at the space in front of him until Richard returned with a beat down cell phone which looked like it had survived a storm, a hurricane and a flood. Richard laughed out loud at my thoughts.

"You are so funny, sweetheart," he said with a grin.

Ray let out what sounded like a warning growl and Richard lifted his hands in surrender. I stared at them in confusion, wondering what was going on.

Deciding against asking, I went to work on turning on the cell phone. Thankfully, after removing and inserting the phone battery, it came on. I took the number from my bag and dialled it. After a few rings, she picked up.

"Who is this?" she asked immediately in an annoyed voice.

"It's Felicity. You told me to call you after I found Helen."

"Good, is Helen with you now?"

"No…" I replied slowly.

She scoffed. "Why then are you calling me?"

Pulling the phone away from my ear, I looked at it, frowning at her rudeness. Who spit in her cereal?

Richard chuckled again, shaking his head at me. Ray only spared him a glance before looking back at me. I knew he heard everything she said due to enhanced hearing and Richard reading my mind.

Putting the back on my ear, I responded in a blank tone, "I found Helen but Luciana has her now,"

She sighed. "There is nothing I can do for you then. Find your adopted parents, they will tell you everything and hopefully help you. Try not to die."

And she hung up, leaving me staring at the phone in shock, with my fingers tightly gripping it.

"She is a rude one," Richard commented and I sighed, dropping onto the couch.

Whenever I took one step forward, I got pushed two steps backwards. I would get so close to finding out the truth only to be thrust back into cluelessness. It was frustrating. Now I was back to the beginning or rather, the middle of nowhere.

(•)

Thank you for reading.