| SEVENTEEN |

As soon as Amelia and Madison came over, we decided to immediately make our way over to the school. A place I never thought I would run to for refuge.

I told them everything on the way and they were stunned. Classes were in session but we knew how to navigate through the school unnoticed.

We sneaked into the school after getting the directions of the secret area from my parents who stayed home to figure out a way to defeat Luciana.

We got to the secret area and I was shocked to know that such a place existed in this school. The compartment was like an apartment complex on its own.

There was a living room, kitchen and bathroom with a conjoined toilet as well as some other rooms. My parents must have really planned this hideout.

"Wow! Tell me again why my parents didn't think to make one of these for me," Madison whined, staring at the luxurious apartment in awe.

Why would she need a hideout?

"Who would want to be after your crazy ass?" Amelia fired back and Madison pouted before a determined look appeared on her face and I knew a comeback was coming.

A stupid comeback at that.

"Your face is crazy," Madison retorted.

I palmed my face in disappointment.

"I don't blame you for your dumb comeback, you have the brain of a tilapia fish after all," Amelia said and I chuckled despite everything going on in my life.

"You...you," Madison tried to come up with something else but I decided to stop her before the banter would grow.

The last thing I wanted was a bunch of quarrelling kids.

"That's enough now. Before you children go crazy, let's settle in. Or do we explore first?" I asked, watching as they both perked up at the sound of exploring.

One of the many traits my friends and I shared was our intense curiosity as well as our love for learning new things.

"Explore," they both said at the same time then turned to glare at each other.

Sensing another argument coming up about who mimicked who, I jumped in.

"Exploring it is then," I announced, making them dash through the door, calling dibs on where to explore first.

Shaking my head, I followed them.

After a while of looking through rooms, we didn't find anything extremely fascinating so we returned to the living room. Currently, we were sprawled on the couches.

I wondered how Helen was doing or if she was even still alive. Luciana wouldn't kill her own mother, right?

Perhaps to get the book, she might but I was hoping the saying of blood being thicker than water to be right in her case.

"Don't worry about anything, Aunt Marissa and Uncle Jay would not let anything happen to you," Amelia assured and I smiled, thankful for their presence at that moment.

We fell silent, each person lost in their own thoughts. I relished in the comfortable silence as their presence was more than enough.

If they weren't here, I would have probably been biting my nails and ripping out my hair in worry.

Well, not exactly that but close enough.

Sighing, I leaned back on the couch, wondering how my life became this dramatic and dangerous. Battling fledgelings and an evil witch has now become a normal daily occurrence.