Entry 4: Jokers in a Deck of Cards

SUMMARY

Romance-drama AU. Winter ponders on what's the meaning of love.

AUTHOR

I couldn't help myself. I need to write this down because this is just so beautifully—heartbreaking.

A lot of people have told me to make a sequel for . Unfortunately, there won't be any sequel because I love that story in a way that it's heartbreakingly beautiful. So let's imagine that this was the sequel that we were waiting for.

"I want to die without being in pain," She uttered, staring blankly at the sky, "That's right, there's nothing more to hope for this life. It's so frustrating to die when you haven't lived for long, but I hate being in pain..." She held out her hand, weakly, slowly, suddenly seeking for something. Soft and warm hands grabbed hers while caressing it fondly.

"My parents and other people tell me not to say it. They said it's just a little pain. They said I'm too selfish because I can't endure it much," She mutters distastefully. The serene and beautiful face she has was suddenly covered with disdain, "You won't say things like that to me, right?" She shifts her attention to the girl next to her, the one who was giving her hand warmth. The girl nods in understanding, a bittersweet smile plastered on her face.

"Winter won't be angry because of those stupid things I said, right?" In an instance, sadness was evident in her tone, trying not to sound vulnerable. Winter nods again, subtly, staring tenderly, "If I tell you to kill me, what would you do?" Came her sudden suggestion. A voice so faint, seemingly, fragile to hear.

"I would wait until I find a way to do it with minimal pain," Winter answered back with no hesitation, just full of love and understanding to the girl next to her while she lies on her shoulder. Both of them were looking at the magnificent view of the sunset while cherishing the moment.

"Really?" Happiness was evident on her face after she heard Winter's response, "Then you'll go to jail because of me. Other people will also hate you."

"Compared to those people, you're much important." The black-haired girl was silent for a while, only her faint breathing can be heard in between.

"When everybody forgets about me, you must remember me. And don't forget to put a bouquet on my tomb every spring." She softly murmurs, burying her face on the crook of Winter's neck, "And don't get close to anyone but me..." Winter hums in agreement while caressing the back of her head.

Karina Yu was the only daughter of a prestigious family. A young lady groomed—to supposedly rule a business empire. She was typically a princess, residing in a grand mansion, pampered by her well-off parents, as it always should be.

She was blessed with so many things in life, but, unfortunately—lacked something that money couldn't even buy. That is—to extend her life.

Karina was born with a weak body, cursed with an incurable condition that was slowly eating her life. Her family had done all the things and help that they could get, but there's no cure for her growing illness.

At first, Karina was utterly in denial. She couldn't take and handle the fact that her life has a time limit. She was so destructive in the past years. Seemingly, not wanting, anyone to get near her. But not Winter. Only Winter can calm her down.

Karina is a temperamental kind of person. It got worsened because of the sudden changes in her body. Resenting the world, everyone around, even God. That was the only coping mechanism she had to let out her misery.