Chapter 1

I ran through the lush foliage of the jungle around me, pushing branches out of the way and trying to avoid tripping on the rocks and plants below me. My backpack thumped against my back as I ran, but I wasn't paying attention to it.

How on Earth did I end up in this situation? I thought to myself.

I stole a glance behind me.

At the moment, I was being chased by a huge anaconda. It was catching up to me, and I was panting and completely out of breath, but I couldn't slow down.

I turned back around to keep running, but I tripped on a root and fell to the ground. I turned quickly and looked back, but the snake had almost reached me, and I would never be able to outrun it now. I brought my hands up to cover my face and squeezed my eyes shut, bracing myself as I expected the snake to reach me.

But it never did.

I peeked through my fingers and saw the anaconda fighting with what appeared to be another snake. But upon closer inspection, I realized it was a person.

The blurry mass of the two fighting was hard to keep track of. I probably should have run, in case the fight didn't go so well for the person, but I was far too mesmerized to think clearly.

The guy won the fight, and the anaconda slithered away.

Now that they snake was gone, I was able to get a good look at the person, or at least from the back. He was tan with medium length blonde hair, and very muscular.

My eyes wandered down his body, and that's when I noticed his lower half.

The reason I had thought the anaconda was fighting another snake was because his lower half was a red and orange scaly tail.

I stared at the back of his head, hoping that he wouldn't turn around.

But he did, and when his tiny slitted snake-like pupils locked on me, I finally regained my senses. I scrambled to my feet and continued running through the jungle, fear and adrenaline fueling me with a new energy.

I ran, pushing everything out of my way as I jumped over roots and rocks. I could hear the snake guy crashing through the bushes behind me, and a loud hiss ran shivers up my spine, despite the heat of the jungle.

I looked behind me, and could just see him breaking through the trees, maybe 30 feet away from me, far too close for my comfort.

I turned my head back around, only to smack it into a low hanging branch. The force knocked me backwards, somehow flipping me in the process so I landed on my stomach.

Immediately, everything became very fuzzy, and the jungle around me began to spin. I tried to lift myself up, but my arms collapsed beneath me. My vision started to cloud and become gray at the edges.

The last thing I saw before I lost consciousness was the snake creature as he towered over me.