Chapter 14

Alec was out searching the jungle for abandoned human supplies, so I stayed back in the cave and tidied up to make room for any new things that he found.

I was so busy cleaning up, that I almost didn't notice the voices coming closer to the cave. They sounded female, and they were all laughing at something.

The hairs on the back of my neck stood up, and I quickly hid within the piles of boxes and other things, and I grabbed a few pillows for extra coverage.

No sooner had I hidden, I heard the voices resonating in the cave.

"Alec! Where are you?" one voice called.

"Come out and play!" another said.

"Wait," one of them said.

"What is it?" a voice asked.

"I smell something," she said.

I gulped, knowing she was probably smelling me. I held my breath and remained perfectly still. The silence in the room pounded in my ears.

Suddenly, a hand grabbed my foot, pulled me out into view, and dangled me upside down. I yelped as I was yanked into the open.

"HUMAN!" the one holding me screeched, dropping me to the ground.

I was able to break my fall with my hands and land somewhat uninjured.

I was surrounded by five female nagas, and they were all glaring at me disdainfully.

I slowly stood up and observed them. Three of them had bright green tails and brown hair, while the other two had red tails. One of the latter was a blonde while the other had black hair.

"What are you doing here?" the black haired one asked scornfully.

"A-Alec has been protecting me," I stammered.

"Why would he protect you?" one of the brown haired ones asked in an amused tone.

"Because he's my friend," I answered.

"More like his pet," the blonde one sneered, causing the others to laugh.

"I'm not his pet," I defended.

"Sure you are. There's no other reason he would keep you," the black haired one refuted.

"Just look at you," one of the brown haired nagas chuckled harshly.

"Scrawny," one said.

"Puny," another said.

"Smells bad," the black haired one added.

"And not to mention, ugly," the blonde one sneered.

As they were berating me with insults, they were also backing me up against a wall.

"You know, I think this pet isn't right for Alec," the blonde one said.

"We should take care of it for him," the black one said, smiling evilly at the others.

Their fangs came out and they all hissed at me.

"No, please," I begged.

"What's going on here?" a male voice interrupted.

All the nagas turned to look behind them, and I peered around the girls to find Alec glaring at them all.

"Alec! How good to see you," the blonde one said in an innocent tone.

"Save it, Marissa," Alec said, holding up his hand to cut her off.

She frowned and glared at him, a low hiss emanating from her.