~𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝑒𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉~

I jerked immediately, opening my eyes, breathing hard and fast

I jerked immediately, opening my eyes, breathing hard and fast. Sitting up straight blinking a couple of times trying to get rid of this sleepiness that wants to take over my body.

I tightened my hold on the steering wheel and looked around to see there are two cars in my view.

How could I be so stupid to almost all asleep while driving? I don't think I can go any longer. I need sleep.

I have been driving for about six hours with only stopping twice to fill my tank up. I am not taking any risk.

We just made it to Portland. Hopefully, we're far enough from him so I could get some hours of sleep.

There was a sign that said there was a motel in the next twenty miles to my right. We can stay there so I can catch a few hours of sleep and leave first thing in the morning.

I park in the parking lot of the motel. It looks decent, not too shady but also not a five-star on Yelp.

But this will have to do. It's only for the night right?

I let out a yawn forcing my sleepy eyes to stay open. Where almost there I keep reminding myself.

I get out of the car immediately hit by the cold air of Portland. I shrugged it off I used to love winter in New York I like the coldness but when you don't have anything to cover yourself to protect yourself from the cold it sucks.

I quickly unbuckled Alina taking her out of the car seat along with the packed bag we had in the trunk.

Sofia and I have thought about everything when making this plan that's why it was strange to me that she didn't come with us. She even made us practice the plan a couple of times and that sucked cause it was almost a hundred degrees outside.

I hurried into the motel wanting to get to warmth.

The bell rings indicating someone has entered. Low elevator music plays throughout the small lobby or more like room. There's an old man behind the counter who has a warm welcoming smile on his face. Standing in front of the counter I smile back asking for a room for the night.

I give him cash while he gives me a key telling me the directions to the room.

"There you go sweetheart we serve a small breakfast at six a.m. have a nice night." The old man said with a smile.

"Thank you, goodnight" I added a five-dollar tip to the jar. I love old people they are so kind and are very wise people.

Turning around I gasped when I almost bumped into a man that was oddly close making me take a step back trying to put some distance between the man and I.

I hate it when people get in my personal space.

The man had dirty blond hair that was too greasy, a cigarette between his lips, he smelled like alcohol making me want to gag.