exposé

A fair warning, the title might be clickbait-ish. Again.

I don't know how much of this is actual tea but I'm not saying what happened or anything. This is purely my thoughts about 'exposing people' on Wattpad.

Writing exposé and exposing people felt like a trend on Wp in the time period of 2020-21. It was also the time when lockdown was imposed in almost every country in the world and people like you and me suddenly had too much time on our hands and no way to know what to do with it. I mean, yes, people were here since 2015 but covid made this place even more active.

I became in 2020 too and I thought maybe I could just publish some of my work and see where it goes bcuz before that I never had this much time that I could solely give to writing although I wanted to.

Anyways, I made many friends, joined awards and communities and had fun. But during this time I also started seeing this whole toxic side of Wp and how some people wished to bring it to light.

There are still toxic people around, it's impossible to completely be free of them. There are also those who plagiarise, be it books or graphics and even bios. Bio one is a crazy one tbh but whatever. (I literally have zero sense when it comes to bios.)

So, those who were affected by it obviously first talked it out, came to an agreement, that sort of thing. If it continued, followers came up to the defence and then the victim would kind of expose them, I guess, saying this happened to me. They would often share screenshots of the original and plagiarized stuff to show what exactly happened and all, like presenting the facts and letting people judge.

There were also exposé made about people writing inappropriate stuff in their books and promoting toxicity or anything along that line.

These are the sort of exposé that I don't think are completely wrong to do. It's to make people aware of things happening around them. And in a way when it comes to plagiarism, I don't think anyone should stay silent. Your creativity being copied and being sold by someone else is not a good feeling and it is unacceptable. So, a group of people coming together to help the victim is not wrong but obviously, there is a way to doing it. You can't just go ahead and scream, 'bitch, you copied, Imma kill you.'

No, that's not how you do it. You should maintain a level of civility and humanity even if you think what the other person did is horrendous while dealing with issues like that. The behavioural stuff is a whole discussion for another time but yeah, outright hostility isn't the best way around it.

However, this is exactly what happened everytime an exposé went 'viral' and what followed was a whole another drama of the perpetrators saying sorry and leaving wp for good bcuz the cyberbullying scarred them for life.

Some came back after 2 days but that's another story once again XD

I won't say that I haven't promoted such "books". If you scroll down my mb, like way down, I'm sure you'll find the evidence. I don't know if they are still up but yeah, the announcements should be there. I rarely delete my announcements.

But I will also say that the ones that I promoted were the ones that revealed the extreme kind of plagiarism, trickery and toxicity. I didn't just blindly promote anything bcuz that's not how I roll. I don't do anything about an issue unless it has reached the height of its existence. And sometimes I don't even do that bcuz I don't find it that important.

Especially on an online platform such as Wattpad.

The third kind of exposé that got famous was the type that exposed a problematic person. I'm not saying what they posted on wp. I'm talking about the behaviour kind of problematic people, like those who treat others like trash or are using inappropriate language or demeaning people, that sort of thing. Or if a huge fight happened and someone exposed the one in the left corner, that kind thing.