1

The sky had grown dark outside of the carriage, where you and your most trusted knight, Ted, had been sitting for the past few hours. You father, the king, had heard that another king in a different kingdom was looking for marriage, and wanting to keep the royal blood going in the family, decided to send you out to 'win his heart'.

Most of the ride was silent, really. Ted wasn't one for conversation. His constant focus was on protecting you, which you found charming, but this was his job. Though you appreciated it, it would've made you feel better if he acted like a real person, too.

Hearing the horse hooves began clicking against hard ground made you perk up, finally, this ride was getting somewhere. Dusting off your outfit, you adjusted you crown and carefully peaked out a window. "Coachman, how much longer will it take until we arrive at the castle?"

Keeping his eyes on the road, the coachman gave a tiny nod. "It won't be long now, your majesty. If I'm not mistaken, it should be just a few roads ahead."

Nodding, a small sigh escaped you as you stared at the ground. Ted seemed to notice this, considering he was basically staring at you the whole time. "Is something wrong, my liege?"

"Ted, you're free to just call me Y/N." You said softly, before looking up at him. "It's just.. I'm not sure about all of this."

Raising an eyebrow, Ted stared at you. "What do you mean?"

Glancing out of the window for a moment, you fidgeted with your hands in your lap. "What if I'm not chosen by the king? And even if I am, what if it's not true love?"

Looking forward, Ted blinked a bit, his face staying in its neutral tone. "It's important to take risks for the kingdom, your majesty. If you are not chosen there's always a chance for another marriage."

His response just caused you to frown, before looking forward. "Right." You said softly, not even giving a clear response.

Soon the carriage came to a halt, Ted stepping out first and soon offering you his hand. You took it gently and stepped out, glancing up at the castle that now stood tall and mighty in front of you.

Many people were already being escorted inside by fancy-looking servants, which already made you a bit nervous.

"Stay by my side." Ted said softly, holding his arm out for you to hold onto. You hated being escorted around like a child, but you honestly had no other choice.

Holding his arm, you began walking up the steps, Ted walking right beside you. Though one of the kingdoms servants attempted to escort you, Ted stayed by your side, which kind of gave them the signal to back off.

As the two of you approached the door, two of the kingdoms guards holding them open, another servant standing there, giving you a bow. "Welcome to the Castle of Mantopia, your majesty. The King will arrive and open the ceremony shortly."

Ted held tightly onto your hands, walking inside and keeping you close. He followed behind a few other guests, giving a nasty glare to any stranger who looked your way. You hated how stern and protective he was- hell, you even gave his orders yet you felt terrible for wanting to tell him off.

Finally after a bit of walking, the two of you entered a large ballroom. The walls were nicely decorated, and different servants walked around, offering the guests drinks served in fancy glasses. A table filled with different snacks were on each side of the room, against one of the large walls, which different guests had already helped themselves to.

People stirred clear of the dance floor, no music was playing yet, nor had the king arrived to the room. You assumed he wanted to make a remarkable entrance of sorts.