9

After spending two more days at the inn, Ted's condition seemed to improve by a lot. He was able to stand and walk on his own, though it pained him to do it for so long. Despite this, it was enough to encourage the four of you to gather your courage and head out of town.

Since Schlatt had done all of the coaching the night of the incident, you figured the least you could do was lead the carriage for the first portion of your journey. The horses had been fed and taken care of in a nearby stable, giving them the energy they needed to last for at least a day or two of travel.

While Charlie offered to stay at the inn with Ted for an hour or two, you and Schlatt gathered all of the money you managed to grab before fleeing the kingdom. This trip was going to be a lot longer than you would've liked, so you figured the best course of action was to gather supplies from the town before you left.

The town seemed to be a bit smaller than the village back in Schlatt's kingdom- yet the streets were bustling and full of music, almost as vibrant, if not more, as Schlatt's. Seeing musicians playing live music throughout the street honestly amused you, making you think about how much Charlie would enjoy the live performance, too.

Even though your situation was a bit grim, you could help but twirl and laugh slightly, dancing along with the music that echoed throughout the square. You weren't the only one moving along to the beat, many other townsfolk seeming to gather within the square, all seeming to dance and smile brightly as the musicians continued.

"Schlatt, come dance with me!" You called out to him with a smile, twirling around as a few of the townsfolk clapped along to the beat.

Despite your offer, Schlatt seemed to stand there hesitantly. "Sorry, Y/N, but you know I'm not much of a dan-" He began to refuse the invitation right before someone shoved his back, causing him to stumble towards you.

You grabbed his hands for a moment and helped him find his balance, smiling brightly as you squeezed onto them for a moment. "Are you not much of a dancer, or are you scared you'll make a fool of yourself?" You asked him teasingly, watching as his face grew bright red.

"What, is that a challenge, love?" He asked with chuckle, squeezing your hand before looking around the crowd. "Fine. But we can't stay too long, alright?"

That was all you needed to hear, laughing joyfully as the two of you held hands, spinning and dancing around each other as the music continued to play. Despite not being the only ones dancing, a few townsfolk seemed to notice the two of you, gathering around and clapping along as both of you moved along to the beat.

For the first time in the past few days, you felt genuinely happy. Your wedding was ruined, you were kicked out of your new home, and your best friend had been severely injured- yet that was all behind you now. All you could do was enjoy the moment, embracing Schlatt as the two of you danced throughout the square.

Not only were you happy, but for once, you noticed a genuine smile on Schlatt's face.

As the song came to an end, a few townsfolk seemed to clap and cheer for the two of you. While it took you by surprise, Schlatt seemed to find it amusing, beginning to bow and wave at the crowd as they continued to cheer.

When a new song began playing, the two of you were on your way once again, traveling through the town in search of a shop. "Alright, so I'm thinking we get some food, maybe a different change of clothes just so we're not walking around in filth-" Schlatt began explaining, his fingers still intertwined with yours.

"So you're just going to ignore all of that, hm?" You asked teasingly, laughing softly as you remained by his side. "You're not that bad of a dancer, my king."