8

By the time morning arrived, you didn't sleep for a moment.

The day before had played over and over in the back of your mind, causing you to grow restless from the amount of stress it caused.

On the other hand, Schlatt seemed to sleep like a baby. You didn't blame him though- he had led the carriage for hours the night before, after losing everything he had.

You didn't move out of bed until you heard one of the boys stirring. Without hesitation, you sat up and looked around, relieved to see Ted finally seeming to come to his senses.

It didn't take long before you were out of bed and by his side, carefully threading your fingers through his hair as his eyes drowsily opened for the first time in what felt like weeks. Once he met your gaze, he seemed to snap back to reality, looking around the room for a moment before directing his attention on you once more. "Your majesty.. are you alright?"

"I'm fine, Ted. You're the one we need to worry about for now." You spoke softly to him, not wanting to disturb the other two. "Charlie and I rescued you after the villagers raided the castle. We fled the kingdom, and now we're in.. well, I don't know exactly.."

He attempted to sit up for a moment only to wince in pain, causing you to carefully lay him back down. "Oh, no, you don't. You're laying here and getting some rest. And that's an order, alright?"

"But-"

"I said it was an order. You're not to protect anyone until your wounds are fully healed. Understood?" You spoke firmly, looking down at him with a stern  look.

Sighing in defeat, he laid his head back once again. "As you wish, your majesty.."

Feeling satisfied with his answer, you gave a nod before taking a seat next to him on the bed. "Good. Are you hungry? I think this Inn serves breakfast downstairs.."

"I would advise not going alone, your majesty.. we're in a new area, who knows what dangers could lie in this village.." Ted spoke softly, and for once, instead of a stern, protective look, he actually seemed to show concern.

Before you could even give him an answer, Charlie sat up in bed, a wide grin spreading across his face. "I can go with them, sir Ted! I'll protect them some anything!" He spoke enthusiastically before jumping to his feet.

Though he had scared the absolute shit out of you, Ted seemed a bit amused. With a small cough, he laid his head back once again. "Alright, Charlie. I'm knighting you temporarily in order to keep Y/N safe."

For once, Ted addressed you by your actual name. It honestly shocked you, considering most of the time it was just 'your majesty' or 'my liege'. You didn't know if it was from his exhaustion or concern for your safety, but either way, you thought it was sweet.

Charlie's eyes lit up as soon as he heard the sentence. "Really?! You can do that?!"

"No. But there isn't really anyone here to tell me otherwise, so go nuts, pal. I see one scratch on them, though, I'll have you beheaded." Ted said jokingly, his eyes closing as he went to relax.

The poor poet seemed terrified by the threat, but you placed your hand on his shoulder in reassurance. "He's kidding. Beheading is only the punishment of severe crimes." You spoke softly, shooting a glance at Ted.

After slipping your shoes on, the two of you headed out of the room, making your way downstairs to reach the breakfast table in the lobby. Charlie seemed to stay close to your side, glaring at anyone who seemed to get too close. Of course, he wouldn't do anything to them. Despite wanting to seem tough, it was obvious the guy wouldn't hurt a fly.