Chapter 1

The golden rays of the sun seemed to blanket the countryside as the car followed the road around a series of grassy hills. Each hill seemed to have an incredible vitality to it. Every inch of each hill was vibrant and green with life. It would make a weaker willed person want to pull over the car and run. It was as if the hills were trying to seduce all those who travel through the area to come and be free in the wide-open space. The wind seemed to whisper, "Come and roll in the grass with the curves of the hills."

I was heading towards Lawrenceville with the intention of taking a job as a columnist for a local newspaper called, The Lawrenceville Herald. Getting the job was no real struggle. My references and experience made me a highly appealing candidate. In truth, the employers seemed perplexed that I wanted to work at such a low-level operation given my years of experience. I told them I had wanted greater creative freedom, as more highly paid reporter jobs came with controlling editors. This is only partially true. The main reason was that I had grown tired at my old job. I was a workaholic by nature, and I often did everyone else's job in addition to my own. I had decided a more relaxing job would allow me to live my life instead of work it away.

I passed a sign that announced, "Welcome to Lawrenceville." Glancing down occasionally at my GPS, I decided I had time to go check out my office at The Lawrenceville Herald. I pulled my car into the parking lot outside the office building. There was a total of six parking spaces in front of the building. The building itself had clearly once been a motel that has since been renovated. The motel rooms, of which there were six to accompany the six parking spaces, were now offices with people's names on them. There was also a lobby on the side of the building that now had the name of the editor in chief on the door. I got out of the car and looked over the names on each of the doors until I found one with my own name, Albert Dodge, on it.

I used my key to open the door and look inside. The office was rather plain. The furniture included: a desk, a desk chair, a couch, and a bulletin board. I went back out to the car and took out some of my supplies and personal items. I started to set up my office place.

"You must be Mr. Dodge," a voice behind me said. I turned around and saw a petite woman with long black hair and wearing a dark blue dress. She said, "My name is Carla. I write the business section of the newspaper."

I smiled and extended my hand. "It is very nice to meet," I replied. We shook hands briefly.

"We are all very excited to have you on the team. You have quite an impressive reputation," She said.

I shrugged, "My reputation, good or ill, belongs to whoever is speaking."

Her head tilted to one side. She seemed unsure of what to make of me. Of course, first impressions tell very little about a person. At first glance she strikes me as someone that wanted to be respected. Being a woman in this business can be very difficult in a male dominated profession. It would explain the need to formally introduce herself to new colleagues, dressing to impress, and the fact that she attained such an important position.

"If there is anything, I can do to help you get acquainted here, please let me know," She smiled again. I could see she was a shark on the inside. Her offer to help, is really her way of trying to gain influence. She worked hard to get where she is, and she doesn't want some hot shot from out of town to knock her off her pedestal. Especially not a man.

"I appreciate that. I will certainly reach out in the future," I said deferring to her. The old me would have relished the challenge and the work that came with it. That's not me anymore. The problem with the struggle for greatness never ends. You have to fight to get it, fight to keep it, and you end up fighting so much you never get to enjoy it.

Carla nodded with approval. "I look forward to collaborating in the future." She smiled again and walked out the door. I watched as she walked out and shut the door behind her. For a shark, she really fills out a dress quite nicely. Seems unlikely I would have a shot. Even if she found me attractive, she has worked to hard to get a reputation as the easy girl in the office. Besides, women who want to be successful have to be tough, and usually turn off that side of themselves.

I finished setting up my office area, I went into the bathroom. I looked myself over in the mirror. I was wearing a button-down white shirt with long brown pants. I didn't have time for a shower before lunch with the editor in chief, so I decided to freshen up. I had unbuttoned the top two buttons of my shirt and removed my red tie, exposing my neck and pectorals. I placed my hands under some running cold water from the sink and began to rub the back of my neck. My hands slowly moved down into my shirt to rub my chest before getting some more water. I then splashed some water in my face before grabbing a towel.

Once I had finished with that, I decided to head over to the editor in chief's office to talk with him.