Chapter 37

I stepped out of my office and went to Misty's door. I knocked twice and she said, "Come in."

I walked in and saw her meditating on the floor. I could smell incense burning as some relaxing music was playing low in the background. "Hey Misty," I replied.

"It is a pleasure to feel the presence of your spirit Albert," she said.

"I wanted to talk to you," I said, "I learned some more things about that voice we have been hearing."

"I take it you mean Ptolemy?" she asked.

I froze for a moment. "You know about him too?" I asked.

"I have had some visions of his activities with Josh during my meditations," she said, "We seem to have an almost psychic link to him now that we have a fragment of his soul inside us."

"Right," I replied, "I think we need to prepare for the very real threat he poses to us."

"I don't think there is much we can do," she said.

"Why not?" I ask.

"He clearly possesses some kind of magical abilities and knowledge," she replied, "We have no idea about the actual limits of his powers and what we can do. We also can't be sure of if and when he will find us."

"We can spy on him when we sleep or meditate," I said.

"True," she replied, "But we can't sleep or meditate non-stop. Plus, we won't be able to protect ourselves in a vulnerable state like sleeping or meditating."

I thought for a moment. "Perhaps, we can sleep at opposite times," I said, "That way one of us can always monitor him."

"There is also another possibility," Misty said, "We are able to spy on him, so it is not impossible to think he can spy on us. He has even been able to speak to us mentally."

I paced back and forth in the room for a bit. "Do you have any better suggestions?" I asked.

"Let whatever happens happen," she said.

"Are you actually suggesting we let that monster kill us?" I asked.

"No," she replied, "The universe works in mysterious and wonderful ways. When there is nothing we can do about something, it is better to trust the universe."

I rolled my eyes. "I refuse to be a sitting duck for that immortal parasite," I said.

Misty shrugged. "We are more than our bodies," she said, "We are a loving energy, and our purpose is to be loving. If you have loved, then you have taken your place in the flow of the universe, and that can never die."

"I'd like to have my body in addition to my spirit," I said.

Suddenly the phone rang in Misty's office. I went and picked it up as she continued to meditate. It was Miller. He wanted us to come to his office for a meeting. I walked over to Misty and whispered the information into her ear.

She opened her eyes and got up. We walked over to Miller's office. He was sitting at his desk waiting for us. He smiled weakly. "Hey guys," he replied, "How have things been going?"

"Fine," I replied.

He looked over at Misty and she replied that she was well.

"We have got a bit of a problem emerging," he said, "Max Holderlin has bought out all of my debts to is trying and take over the Lawrenceville Herald."

I shook my head. Max is always bad news.

"He contacted me to set up a meeting to discuss terms," Miller said, "I am hoping Carla will dig up enough information to prove that Holderlin had embezzled the money he has been using to buy out his competition, but time is running out."

"Is there anything we can do to help?" Misty asked.

"Yes," Miller said, "I have arranged to have the meeting with Max upstate in a week. I'm hoping you guys will drop your tasks and assist Carla in any way you can. If we can prove his crimes, we can stop him from buying us out."

"That won't be easy," I said, "Max is like a hydra. Just when you think you've cut off the head and beat him, two more heads appear and attack you."

Miller nodded in agreement. "Yeah," he said, "Mr. Holderlin didn't get as far as he has by being a nice guy."

"You've got my support," I said.

"Mine too," replied Misty.

"Great. You guys are the best," he said, "I'm lucky to have such a dynamite team."

Miller called Carla on his office phone to get some details from her. "She wants you both to meet her in front of the New Jersey Today main office. She will be in the parking lot in her car." We nodded and ran out to Misty's van to meet with Carla.