Chapter 27

The captain started to laugh to himself as he looked down at his feet. His whole body seemed to shake as his laugh got harsher. "It has been too long since we saw each other my old friends," he said.

He continued to point the gun at us as his free hand moved to his face. He seemed to be removing parts of his face, but on closer examination, the parts were prosthetics and rubber. He lifted his head and I immediately recognized him as Josh.

"I told you I'd get back at you for getting me fired," he said.

"You got yourself fired by trying to blackmail me," I said.

He fired a shot at us. I pushed Misty to the left of the shot as I fell back to the right of it. We were not hit.

"I really wouldn't argue with the guy holding the gun," Josh said laughing to himself.

"How is this even possible?" Misty asked in a shaky voice.

"I have always had a knack for disguises," Josh explained, "It was big part of how I got juicy stories for my columns. After Albert got me fired, I started stalking him. While spying, I learned everything about Phil and how you guys would need a boat to get him out of town. So, I rented a cheap boat and disguised myself as a captain so I could rent it to you guys."

"Do you plan to kill us?" I asked.

"No," Josh said, "It is going to be up to fate if you survive."

Josh then explained, with a certain fiendish glee, that he planned to abandon us on a deserted island. He proudly proclaimed that he hid cameras all along the docks and have several photos of us helping Phil escape. Even if we were to survive and escape the island, Josh would have us arrested as Phil's accomplices if we returned to civilization.

Josh said, "With all this information, I can write a great article about everything that happened and get a better job as a reporter than I ever had before. I'll be working at New Jersey Today for Max Holderlin."

I rolled my eyes. I should have guessed that Max was involved in this little scheme. Josh ordered us to sit on the front of the boat, opposite to where he was driving it. Misty and I did as he directed. He kept the gun pointed firmly at us as he drove the boat. She and I whispered about possibly trying to tackle him but given the distance and the likelihood of at least one of us getting killed, it didn't seem worth it.

We had been so caught up in the situation, I had nearly forgotten about Phil. He was in bad shape with his withdrawal symptoms, and considering what I dangerous liar Josh is, we can't be sure if his claim of Phil getting up and leaving was true or not. Of course, we can't do anything about Phil now. All we can do is try to save ourselves.

After a few hours, we arrived near the shoreline of an island. Josh slowed down the boat. "Alright losers," he said, "I'm not going to shore with you, so you are going to have to swim for it."

He fired off a shot in the air and we jumped out of the boat. We swam aggressively along the water, making two rippling pathways as we swam for the shore of the island. I heard a couple more shots get fired from behind us. I winced as I heard each "pop" of the gun, imagining the bullets hitting me, though they didn't. My heart was banging against my chest as if it would burst out. I don't know if Josh was trying to hit us, or just taking pleasure in our fear.

I looked to my right and saw Misty still swimming beside me. We both seemed to be physically okay as we reached the shore. I flipped onto my back and breathed heavily. I could hear her breathing beside me, and in the distance, I heard the sound of Josh's boat getting further and further away.

I sat up and looked over at Misty. "Any idea on what we are going to do?" I asked.

Misty sat up, crossed her legs, and started to meditate.

I stood up, my feet wobbling slightly. "I'm going to look around," I said.

I began to explore the shore. It seemed to be a rather standard beach. The sand seemed to wrap its way around the island like the coils of a snake. A little further up the shore a treasure trove of seashells in every shape and size imaginable. Further than that was a lush green forest. If it were not for our circumstances, it would be a rather scenic location. I moved a bit closer to the forest. I heard some rustling in the trees. I ducked my head down slightly as I saw some birds launch out from the tops of the trees.

I walked back to where she was meditating. "Let's head inward. We need to find shelter," I said.

She patted the sand next to her. "In a moment," she said, "Come meditate with me. A clear mind will help us relax and think straight."

I sighed and sat down beside her. I wasn't in the mood to argue, so I relented and meditated with her. I closed my eyes and allowed myself to feel everything. The breath entering and leaving my chest. The hot sand rubbing against my legs and knees. The salt in the air gently coating my face and hair. The sounds of the waves rising up on the shore and gently rolling back. It was as though the earth itself was breathing in harmony with us in that moment.

After a few more minutes, we got up and made our way towards the forest.