Chapter 6

There was a knock on the door of my office. I opened the door to see Miller standing there with a stack of files in his hand. "Good morning, Albert," he said.

"Morning Miller," I replied, "What have you got for me?"

"A local high school basketball team is going to the district championship game," Miller explained, "I wanted you to cover it for The Lawrenceville Herald."

I took a folder from his hand and looked over some of the information. I glanced to the side briefly and saw Phil passed out on the ground. He was shirtless with a black eye and a few bruises here and there.

Miller followed my gaze over to where Phil was laying. "Do I want to know why Phil looks like he was wrestling in a cage match?" Miller asked.

"It is one of those scenarios where the less you know the better boss," I replied.

Miller gave me a thumbs up and began to walk by Phil. He took a folder and slipped it underneath Phil's unconscious body. Miller started whistling and continued down the line of motel offices.

I went back inside and continued to review the papers in the file. Truth be told, my mind was still reviewing the events from last night. I was asking myself questions about Misty kissing me. Does it mean she has feelings for me? She did kiss me, but she is so wild and free spirited she may have just did it on a meaningless whim. Do I have feelings for her? She is attractive and a lot of fun to spend time with. On the other hand, we are so different and I'm still figuring out this new chapter in my life. A kiss is always such a beautifully confusing thing. Even if there are feelings on both ends; what kind of relationship would she want, if any? Do I want a relationship? What kind of relationship? Maybe I should just let whatever happens between us happen.

I was starting to give myself a headache. One of the positives of workaholism is that I never had time to form relationships beyond mere acquaintances. I suppose it was good in the sense that I didn't have to deal with all the complex emotions and thoughts that come from connecting with others. Then again, I was very lonely too. We are wired for connection. It is the relationships we have with others that make life meaningful. The products of your labor lose significance with time, but what you meant to the people you love will always matter to them and you.

My thoughts were disrupted by the noise from the neighboring office. I recognized the voice of Carla, but there was also an unknown male voice.

"I care about you," Carla said, "How can you say that?" It sounded like she had been crying.

"Not as much as you do this job, or yourself," the man said, "I'm tired of coming last every time."

"You don't baby," Carla replied weepily.

"I'm done having this same fight with you. I'm done with this whole thing. I'm not even sure what we are," he said. The sound of his voice indicated he was getting choked up.

"It has just been a busy time lately. I know I haven't been giving you as much attention as you need. Things will get better soon though," she said.

"You've promised that a million times Carla," He said, "I'm not waiting to hear it a million more times. I'm out of here."

I heard the door open and slam to Carla's office. Seconds later the door opened again, and I heard Carla calling out to him. After a minute or so, she stopped calling and shut the door. I could still hear her sobbing lightly through the walls.

I felt bad for her. Carla and I have never gotten along, but that doesn't mean I enjoy hearing her crying and heartbroken. Of course, it is not like I can go over there and offer her comfort. She dislikes me immensely, plus she probably would be irritated by the fact that I overheard their conversation. I thought for a moment and decided to drive to a nearby convenience store. I got a box of donuts and a bottle of wine. I set them down in front of her door and knocked, leaving them as I dashed back into my office. I heard her door open briefly and close. I looked after a few minutes to see she took them. I smiled and returned to my work.