Chapter 13.6. The Bitter Vagaries Of Life

Benedic watched as the tall blond-haired figure swaggered into the dilapidated mill house. "I almost blew your pretty head off, Aleister," he said in annoyance. "What the hell are you doing here at this time of night?"

The unannounced arrival was Aleister Keighly, Viscount Overton, professional mercenary, prodigal son, and their to a dukedom. With a wry smile, he pulled off his leather riding gloves and squatted down in front of the trapdoor from which Benedic had only recently emerged. His short blond hair accented the hard angles of his sun-bronzed face. His hazel eyes reflected a good natured concern. "Benedic, my old friend, now you have me truly worried. We arranged to meet at nine tonight in the woods. I do not believe I misunderstood the time. You were unable to make our meeting?"

   Benedic glanced up grimly. "My uncle was giving a dinner party."

   "So I noticed. The estate was ablaze with expensive candles. I almost invited myself over just to see Edward's reaction." Aleister whistled softly over his shoulder, and the steed he'd ridden moved into the protective shelter of the mill house. "It must have been quite an interesting affair for you to miss our appointment," he said in a cautious voice.

   There was silence. Their friendship had been forged years ago in the same Prussian military academy where they had met Henry Brumidge. The two of them had only recently been reunited since what seemed to be another lifetime. Rejected by his proud, embittered father, who believed Aleister to be the product of his young wife's illicit love affair. Aleister had spent the last eight years of his life in self-exile. Only three months ago he had returned to England at his father's request. No fool, Aleister was intrigued by the promise of a fortune.

   Rake, rebel, mercenary, cynic, he was one of the most talked-about men in London—and the only person Benedic trusted with his life.

   He put down the pistol he had removed from his waistband. "The truth is that I forgot I was supposed to meet you."

   "Well, it isn't the end of the world," Aleister said mildly. "If you were spying on Edward, I would not have wanted you to lose vital information. It's not like the old days when we snubbed each other for anything in skirts."

   "Isn't it?"

   Aleister's expressive hazel eyes narrowed in speculation. "You aren't serious? You were with a woman? How could you risk everything? I mean, I know how one would be tempted, a month without sex in a stuffy hideous hole, but for God's sake—I hope the lady does not know anything."

   "She knows everything."

   "You bloody desperate fool," Aleister said in amazement. "Well, I pray to God we can buy her off or send her away at least until this is over. Who in haven's name is she anyway? One of your housemaids?"

   "Lady Charlotte Brumidge." Benedic closed his eyes and drew a  breath. There were traces of her unforgettable scent on his shirt. God, his entire body pulsed from holding her. All his longing bottled up, ready to explode. He felt like some sort of wild animal, so hungry for his mate that he could howl beneath her window.

   "Brumidge? Not Henry Brumidge's line?"

   "I'm afraid so."

   Aleister laughed in stunned admiration, his white teeth gleaming. "You are the only man I know who, being presumed dead, could somehow manage to seduce one of the most desirable ladies in London. From the grave of all places. God help you, Ben."

   "It wasn't part of my original plan. I . . . fell into this, so to speak."

   Aleister sobered as if he could read volumes in what his friend left unsaid. "Hard to resist, is she?"

   Benedic rubbed his stubbled jaw. "Impossible. Not that I can carry on a satisfying courtship as a corpse, as you so tactfully pointed out."

   "I imagine there are ways."

   "She's worth the effort."

   "Let me do more to handle Edward."

   "You've done enough," Benedic said slowly, staring out at the moon-dappled stream. "I could not have survived without your help."

   "I'd cheerfully tear out his heart with my bare hands to avenge you if you would permit me."

   Benedic looked at Aleister with gratitude. Even in their younger years Aleister had always been an outcast to Benedic's traditional English lord. His friend had spent lonely years in India and foreign outposts as a mercenary when his father had sworn to disown him. No doubt Aleister would murder Edward if he were allowed.

   "The day may come "

   "Then let it be sooner rather than later," Aleister replied. "It is repugnant to me to see you living like this while Edward enjoys the fruits of his evil."

   Benedic's expression did not change. Somber, intense, determined. Aleister would do exactly the same thing in his place, and they both knew it. The bitter vagaries of life had rendered them each capable of unimaginable deeds. "I assume you haven't learned anything else about Edward?"

   "Not much that you didn't already know. He was by-passed at Corunna for a promotion by Millington. He spoke rather rashly to the wrong men about it. It seems as if his defection to the Honourable East India Company was a reaction to being snubbed by his superiors. Then again, a man can pocket a tidy fortune by taking foreign prizes if he's willing to leave the regular army." Aleister hesitated. "He could not have acted alone. Not with the kind of critical information he sold."

   "I know, but who helped him? Who?"

   "I have no idea, but there are men who will want to find out. I'll do all I can before I meet my father, although I have limited contacts in London. Not everyone welcomes a mercenary home with open arms. In the meantime, enjoy this young lady with caution. I hope to God you can trust her."

   Benedic laughed quietly. "I have no choice."

   Aleister's smile was rueful. "I don't suppose we can send her away for a few months."

   "I wouldn't want to if I could."

*A/N: Please be my patron in Patre*n and read chapters in advance. My other works are also available there. Or if you just want to support me. Please look for creator Zetar086.
Love lots ♥️