Chapter 3: Better Luck Next Time

An older women stood in front of the small child. Her face held a frantic look to it, her red tail swishing manically as she glanced down the alleyway and back to her child. 

She held the girls face in between her hands, tucking a strain of her h/c hair behind her ear.

"Okay darling" she started, another glance down the alley. "This is where we'll have to depart."

The 12 year  old tilted her head slightly. "But why mama? Why are you leaving me?" Her voice held a hint of distraught.

The women took a shaky breath, bending to her knees to stare face to face with her child. "I'm sorry my sweets, but you wouldn't understand. Me and your dad have some stuff to take care of, so we can take better care of you."

Tears filled the mothers e/c eyes, she gave Y/n a kiss on the forehead. Pulling out a tiny throwing knife from her pocket and placing it in Y/n's small hands. 

"We'll come back for you, promise. okay?"

"Okay"

-

Y/n and Powder laid in the bed, Y/n held her, arms wrapped around the girl as her tail curled around them protectively. Y/n carefully stroked the back of Powders head, which rested buried against the others chest in comfort as Powder hugged the stuffed rabbit.

Y/n looked over the bluenettes head to see what Claggor and Mylo were doing looking at the small pile of weapons in front of them.

"Well, if the enforcers hit tonight, we'll be ready.." Mylo was confident in their stuff which consisted of a bat, a glass bottle, Vanders gauntlets, a few of Y/n's throwing knifes, and a smoker. "I think."

"Dibs on the bat" Claggor claimed

"No, no, no, no. I found it."

"But I called it."

"But I found it"

"Respect the dibs"

"Actually," Y/n spoke from her position, "I found it, Mylo stole it"

Mylo ignored her statement with a wave and continued to bicker with Claggor. Y/n huffed at the two, looking back at the girl pressed against her. She pulled her head back slightly making Powder look into her e/c eyes.

Y/n tugged a strain of her blue hair behind her ear, smiling softly at her, "She'll be fine. She always is." She reassured her

The sound of the door slamming open made the four look towards it. Vi ran down the stairs stopping in front of Claggor and Mylo. 

Powder scrambled out of Y/n's embrace almost making the girl fall, and ran towards Vi into a hug.

"Oh, you're back" she said relieved. VI's breath was shaky, Y/n could tell from where she sat on the bed something wasn't right. 

Being reminded of why she actually ran back Vi reached for Vanders gauntlets. Being stopped by Mylo's grasp.

"Hey. Those are Vander's. Slow down. What's going on?"

"Benzo's dead" Vi broke the news

"Dead?" Y/n whispered in disbelief standing up and off to the side. Vi looked as if she would snap at any moment.

"They took Vander"

"Who took Vander?" Mylo asked

"I don't know. But I need to help him"

"We're going with you" everyone gave a small nod of agreement

"Whatever killed Benzo... was like nothing I've ever seen" Vi's voice shook with fear as she clenched her fist. A sob breaking through, "it tore him apart"