Chapter 2

Her eyes lit up excitedly as she saw the honeydrops I had in a bowl, and exclaimed, "Thanks Mystic! You made honeydrops, my favorite!" She reached out for the bowl and popped one into her mouth. "You want one?" She mumbled through the icy block of honey, and I nodded. She tossed the other one in my mouth, and I caught it, letting the sweet and cold honey melt into my mouth.

"Eclipse! Mystic! We've got to go to the hall for the choosings!" My father, a bulky cream colored tom with violet eyes, called us down. "The price of being the daughters of the leader of the Space Hive!" He added after a pause, and we scrambled down to the first floor. My father, Night, enveloped us in a hug, smelling of vanilla and honey. "My dear sweet kittens... You have the lowest chance of getting chosen... So get ready," He whispered sadly, and left.

I glared at my reflection in the mirror. I hated this. Every inch and second of this day and outfit. I was wearing a ridiculous dress with glittering jewels like the night, and my least favorite moonstone pendant, as well as the heavy rhinestone earrings. I turned around and sighed sadly, and trudged out the door to the choosing, taking my usual seat beside Mother and Eclipse.

"Today, It is once again that day, where we send 2 males and females for the arena, for our thanks to the Haven Hive, for supplying us with food and resources. We welcome our mentor for our contestants, Fluttering Petals!" Night announced, and waved at a petite albino cat with snow white fur and pale pink eyes, wearing gemstone flowers and necklaces, as well as an even more extravagant dress than mine.

"Hello, and I am Fluttering Petals, or simply Petals! I'll start with the toms, then she-cats." She announced in a sweet voice. She padded up to the bowl labeled "Toms" and grabbed 2 leaves. She then did the same with the she-cats. "Which poor cats have to enter the arena this year?" I mentally wondered to myself. I snapped back into focus as my question was about to be answered.