CHAPTER XII

AN
Okay, I am so sorry for leaving this on a non-warned hiatus for about a month😭. I was busy with school stuff, again, I'm sorry.

Anyways, hope you enjoy the chapter💕 (I will try to write longer next time)

°•°•°
I walked in the chariot, holding Liam's hand. It was about 5:30 in the morning, and we were ready to go. As soon as I entered, somebody held my dress from behind. I looked back, just to see Athanasia with a pout holding onto my dress. I looked at her with confusion. She said, "I would be so bored without you! Come to our chariot!". I was shocked, was she suggesting that I should ride in the royal chariot?! That would be hella scary and at the same time inappropriate. I shook my head slowly and said, " No princess, I apologize but I do not think I should be going with you". I gave her an apologetic smile and continued, "If you want you can take a book with you! Perhaps that would keep you entertained". Her pout grew. It seemed reasonable, I was the first friend of her age, and she must be excited about spending all her time with me. Well, if I focus on the bright side, it is a very fortunate thing because then I don't have to be forcefully close with a royal.

I was going to brush off her hand kindly and apologize again when I heard a voice beside me, and just by hearing a bit of it, I knew exactly who it was, " Are you trying to disobey the princess' wishes?". A spine chilling voice. Who else could it be?

I slowly stepped out of the chariot with fear. I gulped and looked at the princess. She smiled cheerfully and said, "Yay! You agreed!", as if she hadn't heard the emperor's warning. So, she does know how to use her and her father's power I see.

I looked up to my side where Claude was giving me a death glare, as scary as it was, it was quite funny to think that he would bring a random citizen on a royal chariot just on her daughter's wish. It just proved how alone these two were, they didn't have anybody but themselves. He only had his one precious daughter, making her the gem of his life, for whom he would sacrifice his and anybody's life for. And then there was Athy, who only had her one precious father. They both were an example of a bad ruler, as rude as it might sound, it was true. A ruler must put their people before their priorities. But these two would give up the world to stay just the both of them. It was kind of sad to see that they were all they had, it must feel lonely. Is it for that reason that Claude lets me live here? So that I can fill up the emptiness in Athy's heart? Might be.

I walked over to the royal chariot and sat on it, taking a place beside the princess and facing the emperor. He looked different, he was well dressed and his hair was done to the side, and maybe some makeup applied on his face, I couldn't see the difference. The princess had open hair, a fresh face and a beautiful smile pasted on her face.

When everyone was ready, the horsemen started and the horses began running. A great noise was made. I looked out the window, towards the tower, hoping to see someone, whom I didn't, unfortunately. He must have been resting, it was for the good of him.

Our chariots went out of the palace, heading towards the hills, across which was Verta. The princess looked outside her window and smiled in excitement, I smiled too, a forced one though because I could feel the gaze that fell on me from Claude.

By the time we crossed the busy main town of Obelia, I got to see the outskirts of the city. Large wheat crops kissed by the morning sun, they touched the sky on the horizon and continued further away. It was rare to see such sights for me, so my heart was filled with a  distinct sense of happiness or inspiration.

Athy popped up beside me, talking more to herself than me, " Wow! The fields look amazing!". She then looked my way and grinned, showing her teeth. I smiled back at her, maybe for the first time naturally and not wanting to gain her trust.

Claude stared at us, talking and playing around like the children we're supposed to be. His eyes were soft today, unlike his usual ones who only carried hatred, it seemed to him as if for the moment he was feeling something he thought he had lost long ago. Love.

Maybe I had imagined it, or maybe it happened but I think that was the first time I saw a smile on his regular expressionless face. A tender smile with close to no true feeling, he looked lovely in it, if I could I would have advised him to smile daily but unfortunately, I couldn't, so I stayed quiet, acting as if I hadn't just seen the brutal emperor smile at his daughter's happiness.

When we were crossing the mountains, we got to witness the tall winter trees on one side of the road, the other showed us the panorama of the settlements beside the mountain. I and Athy watched the sight with awe. There was a river not so far away from here, which emitted a dense fog covering the woods around it and below us. It was dark and melancholy, the opposite of the previous view of the crops.

Athy shivered, due to the cold temperature she had not noticed before. It was about 10 by now and the sun was hiding behind the dark clouds. I wished it wouldn't rain so that we can have a safe journey, but the thundering of the clouds warned me otherwise.

After an almost 6 hour journey, we reached Verta. I subtly woke Athy up, so that she won't miss the sight. Jewel eyes blinked twice and looked around a bit, she shot right up with a gasp and popped her head out of the window to get a better view. She cheered as the big gates of entering Verta were being passed.

Verta was a well-fortified empire, it was said that the walls of the empire were about half a century old but still shone in a deep Marion colour, as good as new! Before entering the gates, a thorough check was done by the guards. Today was a special day, which is why more guards were on duty, they bowed their heads as the royal chariot passed the giant gold gates. After we had crossed, I looked back to see that they were checking our maids and guards, they seemed pretty rough about it.

Right after we entered, we were met by some traders putting up their temporary shops nearby. These places were somewhat crowded but not as much as the main markets which followed next. I also spotted large arenas in some distance, Verta was quite famous for these venues. The road that we were on right now was the highway for the empire, it led to many streets but the main destination was the royal palace. It was a long pathway connecting the entrance gate and the palace. From what I saw, I can conclude that Verta was a very well organised empire, having all the important sites at different places. It was also a very well decorated one, with trees planted every here and there to make it seem better.

We travelled for half an hour more before finally reaching where we had planned, the royal palace of Verta. My heart raced as I watched the large Castle. For a moment, I thought, 'What it this castle is not exactly where I am meant to go?'