chapter twenty

"I can't believe it! I mean...look how many people Mulciber killed! How many people we killed!" Abraxas pointed to his chest. Even in the darkened supply room, light only from the dim candles, Asteria could see that his cheeks were red with panic. 

After Asteria had left Slughorns newly painted office, she saw Abraxas breathing heavily outside the hospital wing entrance. He held it in well then, but now, he was a wreck. 

"I wouldn't care if they were mudbloods- I'd praise you! But those people- what was there twenty dead? We've known them since we were children! Lars Selwyn used to take me and Avery to Quidditch, now look at him," he pointed angrily to his head as if to say that she should look into it, his teeth were bare much like a growling dog, lips drawling with saliva. "He tore his head straight off, I saw it! He was the first one- a clean slice, Asteria! Off with it! My father as well, oh no, my father... and we made Mulciber do that- he- he-" 

Abraxas started pointing his finger towards her chest, nearly touching her skin until she landed a clean slap on his right cheek. Anger boiled like bubbling acid beneath her skin, this contrasted with her voice. A sharp steady tone filled with intense bitterness, "I swear Abraxas if you don't stop being such a baby I will summon Mulciber myself and let him eat every cell of your being."

The redness instantly flushed away like the colour fading from a flower petal. 

Something flickered in his eyes: uncertainty. The blue in his pupils was like a puddle reflecting the haze of what he thought was his wide-eyed fiancé. Only for the water to morph and form a devilish being, it was as if the rose-tinted glass was smashed, the fragments piercing his heart.

A single teardrop fell down his face. 

"Asteria...those people-" he started with a weak voice.

"What about those people?" she bit. She could smell the pungent scent of a potion most likely used for cleaning flow through the air it made the moisture from her lipstick dry out. 

"They...they didn't deserve to die..."

"But you'd quite gladly kill a group of mudbloods, hm?" she stepped forward so her hot breath tickled his nose.

"That's different, they don't belong in this world," his voice strengthened ever so slightly.

"Are you arguing with me, Abraxas?" her eye twitch with a burst of agitation. How dare he speak to her like this?

His wet bottom lip quivered, the candlelight shining upon it. His body froze as she spoke. He didn't reply.

"We are going to go out there and act sympathetic, we do not speak of the occurrences tonight other than our engagement to anyone. We look sad, we help the people, we don't look suspicious," she stepped forward again so the tips of their shoes were touching. "We act like a newly engaged pureblood couple who hasn't just committed second-hand serial murder, am I understood?" 

He swallowed, his eyes were still uncertain. Finally, he nodded.

"Good," she said bluntly as she went for the door. 

"Wait, Asteria," he clutched her forearm, halting her from twisting the doorknob. "We're still partners, yes?" 

Hope dissolved the glass out of his heart and replenished the lost blood with a sweet poison.

She wanted to roll her eyes. "Of course," she said lovingly, standing there for a moment so the reassurance soaked into him. She quickly flipped her head towards the doorway, hoping she whipped him in the face, and proceeded to exit.

As soon as she opened the door a bundle of golden curls rustled in front of her like a bush caught in a storm.

Arcadia Aurum grabbed Asteria's shoulders, pulling her into her chest, "Oh Asteria, my angel, where on earth did you go? I wished to talk to you at Horace's- I mean professor Slughorns party but- but your father tells me you went off and then- oh, and then did that wolf come! I had no idea where you went or what happened!" she pulled Asteria from her chest to scan her for any injuries. "Are you well? Do you need anything? I saw that boy go after you," she said as she smirked and winked. "He looked utterly engrossed with your exit- you know I was telling you about soul-" she stopped her ramble when she caught a glimpse of platinum blonde hair fraying behind her. "Oh hello, Malfoy. Congratulations on your attempt to pin Asteria down-"