Chapter 6: Hockey

I've been sitting at this table in the café ever since I left the ice rink

I've been sitting at this table in the café ever since I left the ice rink. James had joined me not too long ago, but I've been too focused working on my paper. I haven't even lifted my eyes from my laptop.

I glance up from my laptop for a brief moment and notice James staring at someone over my shoulder. I don't even bother to see who he's staring at I just shift my gaze back to the screen.

"You know Achilles is on probation right?" I slowly nod. I'm not sure where this is going? "Can I show you a video?" James asks as he pulls his phones out. He's smirking but he's still staring at the person behind me.

I shut my laptop. I guess I can't take a small break...

James slides his phone across the table and I hear the sort of muffled yelling coming through the phone.

I look down at his phone to watch the video. It seems like a previous hockey game based on the fact that there's a group of guys wearing hockey jerseys in our university colors.

The camera zooms in on a player. Number 19. It's Achilles... He swoops across the ice with his hockey stick in hand, guiding the puck over the ice. Another player—from the opposing team—skates into frame and body checks Achilles. Achilles seems to shrug it off until the opposing player approaches him again and says something.

Achilles shoves him back. Both men pull off their helmets, pushing and probably cursing at each other—The commenters we're just going into a rave about the fighting.

The other players on the ice all swarm around the two. Suddenly, the opposing player punches Achilles.

Achilles wipes his lip with the back of his hand rather calmly. He looks at the splotch of blood on his hand then something in his eyes snaps.

Achilles lunges at him and reels his left arm back. His fist collides with the other guy's face, the stance and vigor of punch seeming so damn familiar.

Achilles pushes the other guy against the glass and repeatedly throws his fist into his face.

The camera zooms in even more on Achilles' face, the shouting of the crowd getting louder.

Then I see it.

The look on Achilles's face...

He's smiling as he pummels the opposing player's face. Everyone starts jumping into the fight, attempting to pull Achilles away.

Achilles is finally pulled back by a few of his teammates as paramedics rush onto the ice. The opposing player is laying limping against the rink wall as players on both Achilles's and the opposing team surround him, keeping him from Achilles. The paramedics approach and carry the beaten-up player off of the ice.