ix. aiding and abetting

EMBERS
ix. AIDING AND ABETTING
WORRY SAPS THE JOY OUT OF TODAY.

PRINCESS JASMINE HAD NOT HAD A MOMENT TO HERSELF since she had gotten back from the clutches of Admiral Zhao, but the young girl didn't mind as her father continued to rake a golden wide-tooth comb through her black hair

PRINCESS JASMINE HAD NOT HAD A MOMENT TO HERSELF since she had gotten back from the clutches of Admiral Zhao, but the young girl didn't mind as her father continued to rake a golden wide-tooth comb through her black hair. She sat in contentment, smiling to herself as she sipped on a cup of ginseng tea ━━ one of her father's favorites. Across the table, Zuko sat with annoyance written across his features as he stared at his own cup of tea. Her father had sprinkled cinnamon in each of their cups, keeping his late wife in mind as he did. The difference between her father and Zuko's expressions was polarizing, leading her to remember for the millionth time that they rested on different ends of the emotional spectrum. After all, Zuko was rarely happy.

"See, Prince Zuko, a moment of quiet is good for your well-being," Iroh commented, continuing to run the comb through the tangles of Jasmine's hair. It brought back distant memories of her mother, remembering she used to do the same every night before she passed. "Follow Jasmine's lead, she is calm and relaxed. Allow yourself to do the same."

"No harm in giving it a try, Zuko," Jasmine pointed out, taking a sip of her tea. It held a bitter initial taste, but the sweet aftertaste was worth it as the flavor flooded her taste buds. She felt at peace, being amongst family once again. With Admiral Zhao and his crew, Jasmine had to stay on alert and kept wary of them. But, here? It was home.

"It's too hot," Zuko countered, refusing to look up from the stream that came off the drink. Iroh told him to have patience, giving him a kind smile as he spoke. Though, it only made Zuko huff as he continued to glare at his drink.

They fell into a comfortable silence, feeling the gentle sway of the ship as they sipped on their tea. Iroh had finished combing Jasmine's hair, pulling the top section of it into a loose pony while the rest of it remained loose. He took a seat next to Jasmine, pouring himself another cup of tea. However, Jasmine's thoughts had begun to wander back to Zhao and the countless stories he had told.

"Father," Jasmine called out, turning to look at him as she set her cup down on the table in front of them. Something had been on her mind since she had gotten back to the ship, something Zhao had continued to speak about time after time again. "While I was in the pleasant company of Zhao━━"

Zuko let out a chuckle, shaking his head as his and Jasmine's eyes met.

"━━he would always mention an ancient place from the Spirit World," Jasmine continued, tilting her head as she focused on her father again. Her father had more knowledge of the Spirit World than any of them combined. Jasmine had read about it in her books, but her knowledge was limited. "He called it Wan Shi Tong's Library, I think. Have you heard of it?"

"Once, maybe years ago before I married your mother," Iroh answered softly, deep in thought as he lowered the cup of tea in his hands. A small smile was present upon his lips as he remembered the days of his youth, something that seemed to be so long gone. "Some men and myself, we went searching for it in the Si Wong Desert. But, we never found it amongst the endless land of sand."