iii. the great escape

EMBERS.
iii. THE GREAT ESCAPE
GOOD NEWS FOR THE FIRE LORD...

A HISS ESCAPED JASMINE'S RED LIPS as the ship's healer spread a dark green foul-smelling paste made from medicinal herbs that had been found in the Earth Kingdom

A HISS ESCAPED JASMINE'S RED LIPS as the ship's healer spread a dark green foul-smelling paste made from medicinal herbs that had been found in the Earth Kingdom. Somehow, the healing paste was more painful than her actual wound was. To distract herself, Jasmine kept her eyes focused on the candles that burned on her bedside table while the healer continued to work on the gash. Suddenly, the healer pressed too hard which caused Jasmine to intake a deep breath as she squeezed her eyes shut — a few tears slipped down her cheeks as she continued to take in deep breaths. "Be careful," Jasmine snapped as she gave the healer a sharp glare. "Or, I'll have your hands cut off."

"Please, forgive me, Princess Jasmine," the healer whispered softly as he picked up the bandages and began to wrap Jasmine's arm. It seemed that Jasmine's threat had some effect on him since he began to work much slower than before — afraid to make another mistake. It was silent as the healer kept working while Jasmine focused on the candles again. She could feel her head pounding, but she tried her best to ignore it.

Jasmine didn't say a word as her door opened to reveal the smiling face of her father, Iroh — even the healer seemed relieved that another person had entered the room to assure that she wouldn't kill him. Iroh walked into the room with a tray that held his teapot, teacups, a small jug of water, and other spices that he liked to put in his teas. He placed the tray on top of Jasmine's dresser before he walked over and looked over the work of the healer. "You look pale, Inzi," Iroh commented as he looked at the healer. He chuckled as he looked at Jasmine's irritated expression. "Did my daughter threaten you? If so, I apologize on her behalf. She doesn't do well with pain."

"Oh, no, it was nothing like that, General Iroh," the healer reassured as he stole a glance in Jasmine's direction, but quickly went back to cleaning up his supplies when he noticed her angry expression. Inzi quickly placed everything into his bag and was about to leave when Iroh's voice stopped him.

"Will this wound affect her training sessions?" Iroh asked as he gently took hold of Jasmine's arm and looked over the bandages. He had seen the wound earlier when Jasmine had boarded the ship, but her handmaiden, Zari, had quickly whisked her away before he could get a closer look at it. He glanced at her armor that was laid out on the chair and noticed the blood stains — it pained him to see his child in any kind of pain, but he had to be strong for her.

"I wouldn't worry to much about that," the healer replied when he noticed the concern that masked Iroh's face. "It's only a flesh wound and it will easily heal over the next couple of days, but, uh, I recommend waiting a few days before returning to any training — opening the wound could lead to an infection that can be hard to treat and well, lead to death."

Iroh hummed as he considered the healer's words while Jasmine just rolled her eyes instead — the girl was sure that would be able to train without a problem regardless of her injury. "Ah, this would give little Jasmine time to focus on her studies instead," Iroh teased as he ruffled his daughter's long raven hair, much to her dismay. "I'll make sure that she does nothing to reopen the wound."