i. far from home

EMBERS
i. FAR FROM HOME
I WILL FIND THE AVATAR.

THE AROMA OF JASMINE TEA FILLED THE PRICKLY COLD, DEAD AIR OF THE ICY SOUTH POLE, but it seemed that only retired General Iroh appreciated it

THE AROMA OF JASMINE TEA FILLED THE PRICKLY COLD, DEAD AIR OF THE ICY SOUTH POLE, but it seemed that only retired General Iroh appreciated it. His daughter, Jasmine, on the other hand, had a few words to say about the cold weather. She was bundled up with a fluffy blanket on a metal chair with a book about the Water Tribes in her hands. Since they were in Southern Water Tribe territory, Jasmine thought it would be best to read up on their history. It discussed traditions, waterbending moves, and much more, but something that stood out to Jasmine was the Blood Moon and the effect that it had on the Water Tribes. However, it was debatable on how accurate her book was since it was written by someone who lived in the Fire Nation. Jasmine let out a small sigh as she looked up from her book and glanced at her father and her cousin, Prince Zuko.

Her father, Iroh, sat on a small stool as he overlooked a game that he was engrossed in. A small kettle of Jasmine tea — his favorite — sat on the table next to the board game. Jasmine, despite being named after the tea itself, did not like it very much. While Iroh was relaxed, Zuko stood tall at the edge of the platform as he gazed out at sea for any sign of disturbance. His shoulders were still and tense, but his hands shook with unreleased energy and anger. Jasmine let out a small sigh as she stood from her seat and approached her father. She took a seat across from him and gave him a warm smile. "Mind if I join you, Father?"

Iroh didn't say anything as he returned her smile and gestured for her to take a turn. Jasmine turned her attention to the board in front of her and glanced at the four rows of tiles. His game was simple — each side had a deck of tiles of the bending types and it was mostly a game of overlapping with the stronger move until someone reached the end. She frowned when she noticed that each of the rows ended with firebending moves. Iroh frowned as he watched his daughter ponder over which tile to use, but continued to sip on his tea.

"I don't understand," Jasmine mumbled as she shook her head before setting the tile back on the table. She looked up at Iroh who set his cup of tea down. He kept his eyes focused on the board as his eyes darted to the multiple tiles that were laid out on the table. Jasmine frowned as she tried to see what her father saw, but to no avail. "Nothing can overpower fire? I do not see how this game can continue."

"That is where you are wrong, little dragon," Iroh said as a small smile appeared on his lips. He reached out and picked up a tile that represented airbending and placed it on top of the firebending one. Iroh looked up at his daughter and noticed the confusion that still lingered on her face. "Fire is powerful, but it is not invincible — always remember that."

Jasmine nodded slowly as she picked up another piece and placed it on top of another firebending tile. She examined the tiles more closely and noticed little symbols in the corner that explained what the strengths and weaknesses the certain tile had. "It seems that each tile has its strengths and weaknesses."