《 secrets 》

"If it were my decision," Sophie said, lining her spine to just the curve of the porch swing, "there wouldn't be any matchmaking system."

Beside her, Keefe nodded, his face thoughtful. "It's not that I don't agree," he said, "but it does have some benefits. I mean, without it you could end up marrying a distant cousin."

Sophie wrinkled her nose. "Can't there be another system set in place just for that?"

Keefe laughed. "With you I'm sure it's possible. Although I doubt Bronte would be in favor."

"He'd probably veto the idea," Sophie agreed.

"So why are we talking about this?" Keefe, true to his nature, was tracing a pattern over the swing's seat. She wouldn't be surprised if he carved something into it just to annoy his father. "You can't even register — not without your biological parents."

"I'm not planning to," she admitted. "Even if I found the information I need."

"Really? You're not curious?"

She mulled it over, her thoughts racing faster than than the rapids on the beach. "I am," she decided. "But it's not like I'd even know any of my matches. I've been here for what, three years?"

"Less than that, probably." Keefe pulled his legs to his chest, turning to face her. Their knees touched, and one stray butterfly fluttered in her chest. "But you're bound to know someone." He grinned. "Who knows, maybe it'll be me?"

She laughed, giving him a good shove. "Fine chance of that."

"We'll see."

"Doubt it." Sophie gave him a once-over. "I can't register now, and even if Mr. Forkle somehow gives up who my biological dad is, I still wouldn't go for it."

Keefe nodded. Then his face twisted as he backpedaled her words through his mind. "Wait — only your dad? What about your biological mom?"

Sophie realized her slip and squeaked. "I meant both."

Keefe grabbed her hands, putting his empathy skills to use. "No — I don't think you did." Sophie didn't try to fight him. He'd have it figured out in a minute flat, maybe less.

"Keefe," Sophie begged. Realization had dawned on his face, and his lips mouthed Oralie.

She nodded, checking over her shoulder to ensure Lord Cassius wasn't eavesdropping on their conversation.

Keefe dropped her hands, his eyes widening. "Foster," he mumbled. "That's huge. I mean, I thought it would be a councilor, but . . ." His face paled. "How did I not —"

"Don't tell anyone," she pleaded.

Goosebumps freckled Keefe's arms, and he rubbed at them. "Of course not."

"Promise me."

"Promise."

Sophie studied him. Sometimes it baffled her that Keefe Sencen was her choice of company most often. But today it didn't.

Keefe didn't react in the way she worried Fitz would — racing to the matchmaking office and blurting her secrets only for the opportunity of a relationship. Her trust in her ex boyfriend had dwindled significantly lately. But keefe wasn't like that.

"You, um," Keefe said, struggling to meet her eyes. "You look a lot like her, actually."

Sophie started to panic. Was the resemblance too strong? Would people start accusing Oralie of being her mother?

"Whoa." Keefe ran a gentle hand along her arm. "Relax there, Foster — I meant that as a compliment."

Sophie's cheeks flushed, first from embarrassment and then from anger. "I hate her," she fumed, turning her eyes on Keefe. "I can't believe you would say I — I —"