Chapter 7 - The Meeting

Not long after Bucky heard Adriana's story of having the same dream like him, the four friends finished their breakfast and went to work. Bucky also finished his breakfast. He decided he would have EDITH connect to the mic of Adriana's phone so he could figure out where she was going to have her lunch. Bucky planned to introduce himself to her at lunch.

He said to EDITH.

"EDITH, can you connect to the mic on Adriana's phone?"

"Certainly, Bucky." EDITH said.

Bucky couldn't hear anything though. Just footsteps. Well, Adriana didn't seem to be talking. He looked at Adriana's figure across the street. She was just walking, so the sound coming in from EDITH really was accurate.

Bucky looked around and decided to find another spot to wait. He didn't want the waitress at Dear Butter to be suspicious of him if he stayed there too long. Just before he was about to leave, his phone rang. It was Sam. He picked it up.

"Bucky!" Sam shouted at him. "What have I told you about spying on her? You're not supposed to spy on her!" Sam was angry.

"How did you know?" Bucky asked, flabbergasted.

"I have Red Wing monitor EDITH." Sam said.

"Oh Sam, why did you have to do that? Don't you trust me?" Bucky asked.

"I did, but I have my doubts now." Sam said.

"Oh come on Sam, give me a break. I know I'm not supposed to use EDITH to spy on her but I did so I could find more info on her faster. And I did. If it weren't for EDITH I wouldn't have the confidence to introduce myself to her today." Bucky said.

"Oh, so you've talked to her?" Sam asked.

"Not yet, I'm planning to talk to her at lunch today." Bucky responded.

"What happened that made you have more confidence?" Sam asked .

Bucky proceeded to tell Sam what he just overheard. Sam sounded a little shocked and in awe.

"Well, there's something between you two, for sure. Good luck Buck. Go get her." Sam said, encouraging Bucky.

"Thanks Sam." Bucky said, relieved Sam wasn't angry anymore.

"So, may I please use EDITH again? Just to figure out where she'll have lunch today. That's all." Bucky pleaded.

Sam sighed. "Okay." He finally said.

"But like I said, return her to me in three days, no scratch. And don't you dare do anything stupid. I'll know." Sam warned.

"Don't worry Sam. I'm not gonna use EDITH irresponsibly. All I'd done was eavesdrop a little. That's all..and that is also the only thing I'm gonna ask EDITH to do for me. Nothing else. I'm not interested in deploying drones or nukes here." Bucky said matter of factly.

"Fine. I'll see you in three days okay? Kate, Riri and Kamala are looking forward to train with you." Sam said.

"Oh, okay, great. Tell them I said hi." Bucky said.

"Yeah man. I gotta go. Take care, Buck." Sam said.

"You too, Sam. Thanks again." Bucky said. And they hung up.

Bucky shook his head. He couldn't believe Sam had Red Wing to monitor EDITH. Sam could be so annoying sometimes.

Bucky finally got up and looked around. There was a small park not far from there, and he could see there were benches there. He also spotted a newsstand. He went to the newsstand, bought a newspaper, and head to the park. He took a seat on one of the benches and opened his newspaper. As he read the newspaper, he listened to Adriana's phone. He was happy that he could still hear her voice even if it sounded muffled at times. For a long time he didn't hear her voice, he just heard the sound of a sewing machine. Clearly Adriana was busy working. Several times he heard her say something to her friends. But most of the time she was working. Bucky decided to actually read the newspaper while waiting, catching up on current events.