Chapter 13

SOPHIA'S POV

I woke up exhausted yet I pulled myself out of bed to go prepare breakfast for myself and Lilly, I wasn't comfortable with the maids making her breakfast, Lilly had a lot of allergies,  so I was particular about her food.

I didn't bother to wash my face, I brushed my teeth and hurried downstairs to the kitchen in my blue coffee-stained pajamas.

I hoped that Richard won't be around, I didn't want to bump into him, I couldn't face him after what happened the last time. I got jealous and made a fool of myself and I also knew I wasn't ready to figure out my feelings for him.

Months had passed since the news of our engagement, and I was already getting used to the lies, it was quite exhausting but I was in too deep.

I moved into the kitchen humming and dancing while setting down the cereal I intended to make.

" you dance pretty well," 

Fuck! I screamed in my head, that was Richard's voice.

He moved towards me and our eyes finally met.

"Good morning Soph"

I adjusted my Pajamas hoping I didn't look too messy if I had any idea that he would be home I wouldn't come down looking this messy.

" aren't you supposed to be at work?" I asked.

" I don't have a lot to do at work, so I'm resting today" he replied.

I had never seen him stay home on a weekday, a part of me was excited about his presence, and I disliked that I was excited about it.

"Why do you look so disappointed though, you want me gone"?  He asked in a sarcastic tone.

"Does it matter if I want you around or not? " I said rolling my eyes at him.

"Of cause, it matters to me, you are my fiancee remember? " he whispered and moved close to me, I could feel his breath on my chin, this man had a way of making me want him.

"I'm leaving now please,"  I pushed him away and tried to maintain my balance.

"Richie! We have a problem, your father is here "
David yelled, running in from the hallway.

"What?" he exclaimed.

It wasn't supposed to be a problem when a father is visiting a son, but this father-and-son duo was a mess.

I thought it was best to walk back to my room and let them sort out their differences.

Too late, I was caught up in it already.

"Mummy where are you" I heard Lilly call out softly as she walked towards me.

"C'mon baby let's go upstairs," I said lifting her in a hurry to avoid Mr. Robert

" so you do have a daughter as I heard," a familiar stern voice said.

I forgot we didn't tell the Roberts that I had a daughter.

I quivered and put Lilly down gently, I turned to look at Richard, he looked confused and startled.

"Well, Mr. Robert i..i.." before I could find the right words, Richard cut me off.

" yes father she has a child, and I'm sorry I couldn't tell you, I was waiting for the right time," he said calmly.

" How dare you deceive my son, a single mother? Why did you approach him? With what intention? " He directed the question at me, looking at us with disdain.

" I didn't deceive him, he was aware of this, and he .........."  I stuttered.

"So you want my son to raise a bastard child and....." 

Those words reminded me of how my self-centered mother and Chris constantly called Lilly a bastard, I didn't mind being disrespected, but she didn't deserve to be called a bastard, I was about to react when Richard moved close and squeezed my hand.

"Father! I will appreciate it if you do not disrespect my fiancé and daughter"
I looked up at him in shock, he was full of rage I had never seen him this furious, his father glared up at him dumbfounded.

"You dare talk to me this way, because of a woman like her, there are so many women out there, why choose a single mother? He asked.

"I don't care about other women, this is the woman I love and I will not entertain any sort of insults father," he said confidently. It was appealing to watch him stand up for us.

"You have gone crazy Richard, do you have any idea what you are doing ?"  He moved close to Richard hitting him hard on the chest and he flinched in pain, I closed my eyes, I couldn't bear to see him like that.

David moved towards them and stopped him gently from hitting him again.

" you both leave this house now!" he said, turning to look at us.

"that will never happen, this is my family now, I'm not like you father, I protect the things I love'' he said.

"Come here kiddo, " he said turning over to Lilly and beckoning on her, she ran into his arms.

His father looked at him in disgust but Richard didn't seem to care about anything.

"Come here darling, "he called out to me gently, and I walked slowly towards him like a little girl.

I wanted to hug him but I held myself back, I stood by his side and he held my hand tight.

His father stormed away, while David ran after him to pacify him.

Richard sprawled to the ground as soon as he lost sight of his father.

I could tell it took a lot of courage for him to defy his father. I was sure he was going to regret speaking up for me when he thinks of the consequences. this could affect his position and his relationship with his father.

I bent down and hugged him tightly.

" I don't regret it, I don't regret it, I won't regret it "
He said almost as if he knew exactly what I was thinking.

Lilly leaned in too for a hug and he smiled and patted her on the back gently.

I could tell that he genuinely cared about her.

I didn't know how he felt about me but I was certain he will always protect her.

Sadly in a few months, this will all be over.