Chapter Five

Vic knew that something was up with Lupine. There was no way that she didn't have something more planned. She shows up with an accomplice, and pretends that she doesn't intend to steal again? How stupid did Lupine think she was? It was blatantly obvious to anyone who bothered to look at it for more than two seconds. Vic knew that Lupine was bound to strike again; why else would she be there after the stunt she'd pulled? With a bit of luck—which Vic didn't tend to have—Lupine wouldn't dare steal anything after learning that Vic had caught her in the act. Only time would tell.

It must have to do with what we just found in Grandma's old apartment. She decided. Only something like those would lure Lupine back to the scene of the crime. No one would risk being exposed unless the payoff was that good. I'll have to question her the next time I see her.

Traveling silently through her home, she made her way towards the lead housekeeper's room. Vic had never learned the lead housekeeper's first name. She insisted that she be called Mrs. Abbott by everyone, including Vic's father. Mrs. Abbott had worked for Vic's parents longer than Vic herself had been alive. Vic rapped sharply on Mrs. Abbott's door, knowing that she was likely inside. The door swung open to reveal the lead housekeeper. If she was honest, to Vic, Mrs. Abbott reminded her of an older librarian. Her graying hair was always pulled back into a bun so tight, Vic was surprised that she still had hair at all.

Silver glasses were constantly perched on her nose and we're connected to a beaded necklace chain to prevent them from falling. She always wore floral dresses that belonged in the fifties, and flat shoes that more so resembled slippers. As long as Vic could remember, Mrs. Abbott never seemed to age a day over fifty-five. She eternally in her mid fifties, despite the fact that Vic could remember her working there since she was six. Even in the images that Mrs. Abbott kept on her desk she seemed to be unaging. It was freaky in a way.

"Ah, Ms. Victoria," Mrs. Abbott said upon recognizing her instantly. "What may I help you with?"

"One of your staff, Élaine," Vic started. "Where has she been stationed?"

"Do you have a task for her to complete?" Mrs. Abbott asked. Vic nodded. "Very well, I'll send her up to your chambers."

Vic left the room and traveled back to her chambers, feeling defeated. She had been wanting to know where Lupine was working, not to have her sent up. She wasn't sure why, but it still left her with butterflies in her stomach. Up the stairs she traveled, following the halls which she would run through as a child. There was the railing where she had smacked her forehead while running after their puppy. She rubbed the scar subconsciously. Moving down the hallway some more, she noted all the pictures of her father, dressed in his prizes suits, staring coldly at the camera. Despite everything that he had done to further Vic's skills in business, his family skills always seemed to be lacking.

One moment that Vic always remembered was on a family trip, her father struggled to spend time with her and her mother. He always had his bluetooth headset on, speaking to his associates on the opposite side of the world. In the end, Vic and her mother ended up spending the entire trip together, with her father constantly disappearing to take calls. It strained their relationship on such a level that they rarely spoke unless it involved the company.

On some level, Vic was grateful for his obsession with his businesses because it gave her the training she needed if she was to take over when he retired. If she was really lucky, he'd let her become an associate when she turned twenty-five, which was only three years away. If she was honest, Vic didn't like that she still lived with her parents when she would be an adult in many others' eyes. At the same time though, she knew that it took a lot of weight off of her shoulders when it came to managing employment, and house patents. By still living with her parents, she could focus solely on furthering her career.

Pushing all that aside, Vic continued on her way through the hallway, passing picture after picture as she went. One picture however made her stop. It was a picture of a woman, brown hair down to her shoulders, and her green eyes full of laughter. A red satin dress graced her shoulders, and her hands rested on a carved wooden cane. Vic took a step closer to the picture, and ran her hand over the gilded frame. It had been a long time since Vic had seen her grandmother look this elegant.

Vic sighed and kept walking. None of that mattered now. All that mattered was getting the truth from Lupine. She didn't care how she got in the truth, all that she cared about was that she got it. Lupine won't know what hit her. Vic thought as she began her way up the first leg of stairs. Large windows lined the wall and created an open atmosphere. A light breeze flowed through them, caring with it the sweet song of birds and trees in their eternal dance.

Vic remembered when she and her father used to run around those grounds. Now, he was much too involved in his work, and she was much too occupied with her education and preparation to take over the business. How times had changed. One moment you were carefree and couldn't wait for the adventure tomorrow would bring, and then next you were dreading every passing hour. What a contrast to the days of one's youth.

Vic shook her head to clear her thoughts. It was time to focus. Zero in on the problem and task at hand and find a solution. Eliminate unnecessary variables that could otherwise disrupt the search. It was time to interrogate Lupine for all her worth. It was time to find out what was really going on. 

Sorry it's been so long since an update! I've had a lot of things happening offline and writer's block is a constant problem. Thanks for all the support. Hope you guys enjoyed seeing Victoria's point of view. Do you want to see more of these? I am considering doig one every five (5) chapters. Hopefully introducing her as Vic wasn't too confusing. That's how my editors and I refer to her so I figured that it wouldn't hurt to add it in. If you don't like it, please let me know and I'll change it.

Thanks for the ongoing support and feedbac around this story. It is my first official gxg so I'm super nervous writing it. And if anyone is wodering, no, there will not be any sexual content. I myself am sex-repulsed and am uncomfortable reading it, let alone writing it. There is a reason that I was very vague in The Trouble with Trust.

Anyway, thank you all for reading and I look forward to seeing you guys in the next chapter. Hopefully it won't take so long this time. 

~Alley