Chapter Fifteen

Vic was enjoying her trip with her mother. Sure, they were mainly attending business meetings and conferences instead of exploring the beauty of late-summer Nova Scotia, but she enjoyed it all the same. Being trusted to attend business meetings and other such conferences was a new privilege that Vic wsa not in a hurry to lose. She enjoyed the trust that came with her newfound position and her mother's assistant. It would make her eventual takeover of the company that much easier.

Despite her father's efforts, Vic knew that he was beginning to detest his work, especially with every passing year. He was well into his fifties and hoping to retire from it all by the early age of sixty, but with the slow introduction of Vic's responsibilities, she reasoned that it would be more accurate to assume that he would retire at the more common age of sixty-five.

As much as Vic enjoyed her travels, she was also looking forward to her return home. If she was honest, it was because she missed a particular blond. Not Lupine of course; that would be insane, though Vic had always thought of herself as being a tad crazy. She smiled at the thought of Lupine being so flustered around her. Was it because of her knowledge of Lupine's schemes or perhaps because Lupine felt something more. Vic shook her head. That couldn't be true.

Then Vic remembered what Lupine had said to her only a week before. The conversation was one that Vic found herself replaying over and over in her mind. She struggled to see if this was Lupine's way of getting away from Vic or if it was truthful. Perhaps that was one of the reasons that Vic had enjoyed the business trip; it allowed her to puzzle out her feelings for Lupine to vice versa.

"I will ask you again," Victoria hissed in Lupine's ear. "What did you steal?"

Lupine was silent for a moment, looking as if she was contemplating her next words. "My heart."

There was a moment of silence while Vic tried to puzzle out what Lupine meant. In that same moment, shock spread over Lupine's face as she darted out of the room. Vic, still standing in disbelief, was aware of just how fast her heart was beating. She stumbled back a few steps before flopping onto her bed. Staring at the ceiling, Vic tried her best to figure out if she had imagined it all.

Then came the business trip, only a few hours later. No time to confront Lupine about her words. Only packing, private jets, and board meetings. Almost no time alone with her own thoughts. That is, until there was too much time. Being alone with one's head is never good, and as Vic learned, the same went for her. Scenario and scenario she spun, imagining Lupine's reaction to her confession. It was almost worse than deserting Lupine without saying goodbye.

---

Vic waited patiently for her mother, Carol, to get out of the taxi. Vic held her own bags, waiting by the front door, enjoying the fresh air around her. While she had enjoyed Nova Scotia, the constant prick of the salty air had been starting to get to her. Now, back in Manitoba, she felt content and at peace. She was home. After her mother finished struggling with her luggage, Vic rapped lightly on the front door. She was hoping for a certain someone to answer the door, though she was let down.

Instead of her father like she had hoped, Mrs. Abbott was there to let them in. She hadn't seemed to age a day since they'd left, and she was sporting yet another floral dress that Vic had yet to see. Without asking, Mrs. Abbott seized Carol's bags. She didn't take more than a second glance at Vic's, which she appreciated. Ever since she was a young girl, Vic insisted on bringing in her own bags. She figured that if she had brought them all the way through the hotel and airport, she could last another five minutes without a hand.

While Mrs. Abbott took Carol's bags directly to be laundered and sorted through, Vic went up to her room and began unpacking and sorting out her things. For a moment, Vic considered summoning Lupine to help her, but she decided against it. She needed a bit of time to herself to collect her thoughts and relax in her own space. She sat on the edge of her bed and looked out the window, which looked upon a very familiar backyard. Vic could remember playing in that backyard with her father. Before the business took over his entire life.

Vic sighed. She supposed that if she intended to follow in her father's footsteps then she too would have to make sacrifices. She supposed that she always thought that her father could have chosen to sacrifice something else instead of their time together. Vic was twenty-two and barely knew her father. It was strange knowing that she shared a home with someone who might as well be a stranger. Standing back up, Vic quickly threw on a comfy sweater and sweatpants. She was tired of all the formal attire that the meetings had demanded.

For a moment, Vic considered leaving her room to go find her father or Lupine, but decided that she owed it to herself to pause for a moment and handle her jet lag. There will always be tomorrow. Vic walked over to her bookshelves and scanned over a few volumes before selecting a novel. She walked back to her bed and nestled herself under the covers, enjoying the familiar scent and security of home. Her father could wait until tomorrow and so could Lupine.

There we go! Hope you guys enjoyed tis chapter! Sory for being late on this one, honestly, I just forgot what day it was. Little more relaxing this time. Thoght you guys might need a breather before the next couple chapters. Here are this chapter's questions:

- What do you think will happen between Freya and Vic after Freya's revelation?

- Does Vic feel the same way as Freya?

- What do you think will happen next?

As always, thank you so much for reading this. I'm glad that soemone is enjoying it. 

~Alley