Chapter Seven

During the party, Freya stood along the wall holding a tray of champagne. Every now and then, a guest would walk over and select a glass. After a while, Freya would return to the kitchen, refill her tray, and the process would repeat itself. It was tedious work. Mind numbing actually. However, it gave Freya time to consider her emotions. Emotions such as the strange elation she felt whenever Victoria walked into the room and addressed her.

Or the awkwardness that would follow any question while Freya waited for Victoria to say things that she should admit would never be said. If anything, having all the time to think only confused Freya more. Why was she becoming so attached to Victoria? This was a job. She shouldn't care so much. How did she expect herself to eventually steal her prize if she was so concerned with Victoria?

She would have to cut things off before they began. But how? She wouldn't exactly make a whole new identity. It often took Corvus months of pre-planning to get all the necessary documents for a heist. Freya couldn't find a solution. Victoria clearly would suspect her as soon as they collected their prize and that would most certainly lead to their incrimination. With Freya's luck, the entire Kingdom would fall and it would all be her fault.

She suppressed the urge to let out a long and exasperated sigh. That would only lead to odd glances from the guests, and part of their job was to seem as inhuman as possible. They were to follow instructions and that was all. Freya personally found it degrading, but who was she to question the Ambermores' orders? All that mattered was being in the perfect position to steal their prize when the opportunity arose.

Throughout the party, Victoria would float from conversation to conversation, hardly tasting her champagne. It seemed as though she was fed up with it all; 'it all' meaning the parties Freya assumed. Fortunately for Victoria, she was able to stray away from the many businessmen and was able to strike up a seemingly less tedious conversation with Geneviève who had come along with her father once more.

Geneviève seemed to be having a good time at the party, unlike Victoria, laughing, joking, all with a large smile on her face. Victoria seemed tense, distracted, and had a constant furrow in her brow as if she were in deep thought. Freya wondered what about. Not because she cared of course, but rather because it might aid in her scheme to collect their prize. Freya didn't care. Not about Victoria. A small ball of doubt blossomed in her chest.

Just then, Geneviève began to approach Freya. Freya panicked internally for a moment, before realizing that Geneviève's glass was empty and she was clearly just coming to grab another. Risking a glance over Geneviève's shoulder, Freya noted that Victoria had finally begun to drink some of her own champagne.

Good. Freya thought. She might loosen up a little more now. She smiled at the thought. Not that it matters. She added hastily, suppressing the emotions that threatened to well up inside her. It doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is retrieving our prize when the time comes. Corvus will give us the 'all-clear' and then we'll be out of this place. Until then, get your stupid brain under control!

As Freya gathered her thoughts, Geneviève had reached her. Geneviève's brown hair was pulled into an elegant bun on this occasion, with a gorgeous yellow sundress caressing her shoulders. White sandals adorned her feet, and small earrings—which appeared to be diamonds—sparkled in her ears.

"Welcome back," Geneviève said. "Oh, how you've fallen; from a guest to a maid." she smirked slightly. "I assume you wouldn't mind having a little chat?" Freya remained silent as she was trained and allowed Geneviève to ramble on. "My dear friend Victoria says that you've been rather cagey with her. Why, you'd almost think that you had something to hide." she let out a bitter laugh, though her eyes showed little humour. Again, Freya remained silent. "Not in the mood to chat are we?" She placed her empty glass on Freya's tray and selected a new one, taking a long sip. "That's fine. I suppose I'll just have to send her over. Enjoy!"

Freya resisted the urge to scowl as Geneviève turned on her heel and marched off to meet Victoria. After exchanging a few words—with Geneviève gesturing excessively—Victoria slowly made her way over to Freya. Freya pushed down every emotion that threatened to appear on her face and prepared for the confrontation. She stood tall and still as any maid should, and didn't say a word to Victoria as she stopped before her.

"Lupine," Victoria began. "I demand that you tell me why you are here." Victoria glanced over her shoulder at Geneviève, who shot her a thumbs up.

"Ms. Ambermore," Freya responded, not bothering to use her Élaine voice. "I am doing my job. Champagne?" she offered the tray to Victoria, who almost seemed to recoil.

"T-that's not what I meant," Victoria said more sternly, though noticeably more distraught. "Why are you here? What tip did you get about my grandmother's broach?"

The last statement was practically angry, and a few guests even looked over, including Naja. This was not good. Victoria seemed to realize that she wasn't supposed to have told Freya about the broach. She clamped her hand over her mouth and her eyes began to fill with panic. She glanced over at Geneviève, who had the same look of terror plastered across her face. Freya risked a glance over in Naja's direction; she did not look pleased by any means. Victoria still hasn't said a word.

Suddenly, Freya felt a hard firm grasp on her arm, causing her to cry out momentarily and drop her tray of champagne, which shattered all over the floor. Any guests who weren't already looking over at the group were certainly looking now. The hand on Freya's arm dragged her out of the ballroom and into the supply closet where Naja and Freya had had their conversation with Corvus. Before the door slammed shut, Freya saw who was pulling her: Naja, and she did not look happy.

Dun Dun Dun! Sorry fi you guys saw that I accidentally published chapter six twice. If I am honest, I totally forgot that I had already copied it from my document. Hope you guys enjoyed this action-packed chapter! Here are your questions:

What do you think Naja will say to Freya?

How will Victoria react to this event?

What is the diamond in the title?

And of course, what do you think will happen next?

Hope you guys enjoyed and see you in the next one!

~Alley