Chapter Six - Caradhras

"THEIR JOURNEY HAD BEGUN AND THE ROAD GOES EVER ON..."

They made their way with Gandalf at the front, followed by Legolas, Gimli, Frodo, Merry, Pippin and Sam leading Bill the pony, Boromir with her and Aragorn at the rear. For a fortnight they had journeyed, keeping east of the Bruinen and west of the Misty Mountains, across barren and quiet plains and hills. Barely any animals were encountered by them, and all seemed quiet as if holding its breath, waiting for the storm that would decide whether the new age would be one of Men or Orcs, for the elves knew their time was over. Three ages the oldest among them had spent in this Middle-Earth, and many longed to see the Uttermost West. Thus, the days passed, all following the same rhythm. The silence around them was discomforting, yet they had no choice but to go on. 75 miles they travelled across the country, from Rivendell in the northwest southeast toward the Gap of Rohan.

"We hold this course west of the Misty Mountains for forty days. If our luck holds, the Gap of Rohan will still be open to us. From there, our road turns east — to Mordor." Gandalf had told the company on the third day of their travel as they made their ways through a plain of dried and frozen grass one morning, the dew from the night's frost wetting their boots, white puff coming from their mouths whenever they talked.

Everything seemed normal when they came to Eregion, where the passage to the Pass of Caradhras was, their alternative. Resting after an exhausting climb, they had settled down among some grey rocks in the afternoon.
Sam had at once set down to cooking up some of the food they had brought from Rivendell, surprising everyone with the frying pan and other kitchen gear he pulled from his huge back. He and Frodo were eating, Gandalf smoking his pipe sitting on a rock, Legolas on the watch, Gimli talking about this and that; and she and Aragorn were watching Boromir training Merry and Pippin in the art of sword fighting, though Arina did so more because Aragorn was there, rather than to see them fighting. She held some grudge against the man for his opinion that hobbits, who were a peaceful people, had more right to weapons than female elves.

"Two, one, five. Good, very good!" He told Merry and turned towards Pippin who parried but did not move his feet.

"Move your feet." Aragorn told him with his pipe in his mouth. Pippin looked at him with a confused expression which said something along the lines of 'then I'll lose my balance'. Arina chuckled.

"Let me show you."

She jumped off the rock she and Aragorn had been sitting on and unsheathed her sword, letting it whistle through the air. Boromir's friendly expression changed to a mocking yet slightly scared one.

"I'll try not to cut you." Arina joked and waited for him to attack.

When he attacked her left side, she moved a step right. They went on and soon Arina began to charge as well. With unusual speed, she delivered a row of low blows without much strength in them, then went for a strong and high one. Boromir brought his blade up on high guard just in time to block her blow.
The elleth took a few steps back again and started circling around the man to assess him better. He preferred blocks and blows of force, knew to stand his ground. Almost as tall as Legolas, but sturdier. Her size and strength would not match his, but her agility could. She remembered the lessons that Thranduil had taught her, techniques that would put her agility to use and make up for her small stature. It wouldn't be easy, but it was time she tried again; better for a mistake to happen during a mock battle rather than an actual fight.
Arina placed herself in the normal defensive position, but her knees were slightly bent, and her right heel was lifted. She sucked in a breath — it was a high jump, and the terrain was rocky. When Boromir advanced on her once again, she leapt into the air, pulled her knees up to her chin and did a somersault mid-air. Arina stumbled upon the landing and was forced to bend down to avoid any injury, but quickly extended a leg and knocked away the man's, taking him unawares. With a thud and a grunt, Boromir fell onto his back, giving her time to find her feet again and hold her blade to his neck.