Chapter Five - Preparations

"THE POWERS OF THE WEST DESTINED ME TO COME ON THIS QUEST..."

"We will scout the lands west and south of the Hithaeglir first; Elladan and Elrohir will try the Dimrill Stair over the Redhorn Gate and back using the Pass of Caradhras. We shall have to make plans and come up with routes for the fellowship to reach Orodruin as soon as possible. Sauron's power will only grow. Messengers will also be sent to all our friends whom you might encounter on your journey. They will aid you. The Fellowship will set out with the Ring when all our scouts have reported back," Elrond explained to them.

Arina was standing in Imladris' war chamber, together with Elrond, Mithrandir and Aragorn. Elrond would trust no other with the plans for their journey, not even the Prince of Mirkwood. That was why she knew that she could not attend all the councils, otherwise she would draw suspicion.

"We would have you journey south and take the Gap of Rohan—"

"The Gap of Rohan takes us too close past Isengard. I do not trust Saruman to let us pass unharmed, should he discover us," the ranger interrupted his foster-father.

"Dan and Ro may bring reports of the Pass of Caradhras. If the Gap of Rohan is closed to us, that is where we can go. Come down in the Dimrill Dale, follow Celebrant and Nimrodel to Lothlórien and stack up on provision there," she suggested. 

"Galadriel will not accept such evil into her lands and the Dimrill Stair is not as safe as it was", Elrond objected.

"We can take Caradhras as an alternative to the Gap of Rohan," Gandalf concluded. "The Redhorn Gate is another pass over the Misty Mountains. We could turn south at the Gladden River and follow the Anduin to Lórien."

Thus, the weeks passed, making plans, looking at maps, scouting, training. Together with a company of scouts Arina travelled to the Ettenmoors, then turned west towards the North Downs where she was joined by two young rangers of the Dúnedain, tasked to keep her safe and support her with their knowledge. That way they would be able to learn from each other. The three of them went north, almost as far as Carn Dûm, the fortress that had once been the capital of Angmar, then turned toward the North Downs, passed Fornost and Chetwood. Arina, Belecthor and Dírhael spent a night in Bree where they refilled their provisions, then took the same way that Arina had gone not too long ago, past the Last Bridge and back to Rivendell. 

During their errand, November had gone by with the last shreds of autumn, and December was passing, when they and the scouts began to return. Some had gone north beyond the springs of the Hoarwell into the Ettenmoors; and others had gone west, and with the help of Aragorn and the Rangers had searched the lands far down the Greyflood, as far as Tharbad, where the old North Road crossed the river by a ruined town. Many had gone east and south; and some of these had crossed the Mountains and entered Mirkwood, while others had climbed the pass at the sources of the Gladden River and had come down into Wilderland and over the Gladden Fields and so at length had reached the old home of Radagast at Rhosgobel. Radagast was not there; and they had returned over the high pass that was called the Redhorn Gate. Elladan and Elrohir were the last to return; they had made a great journey, passing down the Silverlode into their grandmother's land, but of their errand they would not speak to any save Elrond.

However, in no region the scouts or messengers discovered any signs or tidings of the Nine whom Arwen had defeated, and no words of the Enemy's servants were heard. Not even the eagles of the Misty Mountains had seen anything with their keen eyes, neither of Gollum nor of Sauron's servants. But the wild wolves were gathering in the north and hunting near the Great River in southern Rhovanion.
Three of the black horses of the Nazgûl had been found drowned in the flooded ford, five more further downstream together with a black cloak, slashed and tattered. Eight of the Nine were now accounted for, and though it was rash to be sure, they assumed that the Ringwraiths had been scattered and would try to find their way back to their master in Mordor, shapeless and empty.