Five Times || Bucky x Sam

On the sixth prompt of Christmas, we present to thee... Bucky and Sam get ready for Christmas.

Five times Bucky was glad he'd listened to Sam and spent Christmas in Delacroix.

"You should come here for Christmas," Sam says from the other side of the phone, voice soft but tired only just arrived there himself. Had promised to let Bucky know when he'd got home safe, whatever the time. As if Bucky cared. Like he'd sleep if he didn't hear from him.

He does. And he did.

Had got the text just after finishing a glass of water after another nightmare. Doesn't remember this one, glad it's just a blur of sleep. That's why he'd ended up calling Sam, hand still shaking slightly, writing a reply would take too long.

That and he wanted to hear his voice.

"Would beat spending it on my own," Bucky says, looking around his apartment. No signs of Christmas here. No, wait, there's the card from AJ and Cass on the side next to the TV. Their names a mess of scribbles as if they were fighting over who gets to sign it first. "You know they signed it from your favourite nephews."

"Huh?"

Bucky realises Sam isn't actually there with him, can't see him staring at the card. Season's Greetings from Louisiana with two badly drawn stick figures smudged on the front. One has wings and the other a metal arm.

"Oh, uh, the boys. They sent me a card." He says, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Oh, yeah?"

"Yeah, how come you don't send me cards." It's meant as a joke but it comes out a little mean, voice still a little gruff from sleep.

"See, I don't remember getting anything from you, either."

"I would have sent a text."

"Oh yeah. Thanks."

"I'll bring a card with me."

*

One

Cass and AJ are the first out onto the porch, running towards him while pushing into each other as they race. Bucky can't help but smile as he digs the heels of his boots into the floor, waiting for the force of two excited kids crashing into his waist.

"Uncle Buck!" It's a warming chorus of excitement as they reach him and he only moves a little, feet dragging against the gravel and leaving a mark of his arrival for days to come. Until the Louisiana rain would wash it away.

"I don't even get that sorta welcome," Sam says with a chuckle and Bucky smiles at that too.

Doesn't think he stops smiling.

The boys are still holding on tight to Bucky, his bags somewhere beside them and he sees Sarah walk out but she's a blur as he's focused on Sam. That small smile, like he's trying to not let it show. But his cheeks move with his lips, just a little. Enough to show that he's happy too.

Bucky's free eventually, Cass and AJ arguing over who got there first. Like it matters. But Bucky doesn't pay any attention, his stomach twisting as he realises it's Sam's turn for a welcome. He's quicker than his nephews, wide hands flat at Bucky's back and breath warm at his neck. Lips too close for his liking.

"Hope you brought my card," Sam says as he pulls away, finger's tight as Bucky's shoulder now. Giving a little squeeze to force a laugh from him, to let him know he's teasing.

"Sure have."

"Oh god, it's got cats on it hasn't it?" Sam jokes as they grab the bags, Cass and AJ already by their mom's side. Still arguing about nothing and Bucky thinks he hears something about a bed. "Bet it's cats dressed in little Christmas outfits."