Family || Bucky Barnes x Reader

On the tenth prompt of Christmas, we present to you... an Avengers potluck.

"Is everyone here?" Bucky looks at his hands while Tony speaks, thumbs twisting with each other.  "Okay, good.  So first, thanks to the family for being here." He looks up at that, glancing around the table. Wondering if he was a part of that word. "We wanted to discuss something important with you guys. We want everyone to be here at the compound for Christmas.  Pepper and I want everyone to be together so our idea is to have a potluck."

Bucky sits a little straighter, stretching his legs out under the table and almost catching Sam's but bringing his feet back before he started a hidden fight. He wants to ask what it means, what he needs to do and if he can go yet but Pepper smiles and carries on speaking for her husband.

"Each family is responsible for one dish. We gather on the 24th and feast." She says, face soft at the team in front of her.

Tony laughs at something before Bucky sees that Steve's girlfriend has her hand raised. Looks almost scared and he's glad he's not the only one, though Sandra shows it more.

"I like the raising hand thing. Should use that for normal meetings. Yes, Sandra?" Tony gives a quick nod before she asks about the dish.

Fuck, he'd have to cook something. Something edible. Something that Sam Wilson wouldn't laugh at, or something he'd choke on. Bucky would be fine with either.

Bucky takes one last look around the table, seeing everyone with someone and he remembers why he watches his thumbs in meetings. Why he'd rather not go to the meal and stand around waiting for someone to start a conversation with him so he didn't interrupt theirs.

"Bucky?" Pepper's voice gets him to lift his head again and see that everyone had left. "You okay?"

"Yeah, good. Thanks." He smiles, getting to his feet and pushing his chair under the table.

"Good." She goes to leave too, which wouldn't make much of a difference to him. He's alone anyway.

"Pepper..." Bucky calls, eyes following his words and meeting the kind smile of a Stark.  "Could I bring someone? To the dinner, I mean. Well and maybe have them help me cook something for it. Or bake, I haven't, uh –"

"Bucky. That's fine. This is your home, you can have whoever you like here. They're welcome, James. Just like you."

Bucky gives her a thanks in the form of a curling mouth and a single nod before she leaves. When she's gone he gets his phone out, opens the only real conversation on it and adds a little bubble of text to his side.

I need your help. B

The grey of your reply arrives in an instant like it always did. Even at three in the morning when he couldn't disturb Steve.

What did you do this time?
And you know you don't have to sign an initial, I have you saved in my phone
I know who you are

He smiles because no one's watching, would probably do the same if someone was. Wouldn't care about the questions, would just shrug and let them guess. They'd probably think he's discovered YouTube or is lost to TikTok except his thumbs are too busy on his screen and he laughs between typing.

Can you bake?

You

If by baking you mean misread instructions and burn everything
Then yes
If not, then no.

Bucky

Come over?
We have to bake

You