Merry Cyberpunk Christmas - An Article by @Nablai

Hey everyone 😄

Missed me? So did I... A lot. It's been two months since I talked with you in October and believe me, I really missed our interactions with all of you. It's December and the month of celebrations, kindness and spreading love. And Christmas combined with Ooorah means there's going to be a generous spread of cybernautics with the merry of Christmas. So, without further ado, let's dive into the cheerful space.

Ho ho ho! I welcome you to the Merry Christmas cyberpunk lore.

A holiday like Christmas affects a lot of cyberpunks the wrong way, because of its overly capitalistic nature, appropriation of culture and stories that lull us into accepting the surveillance state

A holiday like Christmas affects a lot of cyberpunks the wrong way, because of its overly capitalistic nature, appropriation of culture and stories that lull us into accepting the surveillance state. In the cyberpunk universe Christmas, there is not a lot of happiness, rather a nihilistic acceptance of human nature and the people who use the festival to avoid eye contact with the dark depths of the world.

There are several theories regarding the concept of greeting everyone "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Christmas". First and foremost, it is uncertain where the "merry" part of "Merry Christmas" originated, but this is what I found:

The use of "Happy Christmas" as a greeting hasn't faded completely, it's still used across England. 'Happy' was used because "happy" took on a better significance than "merry," which was associated with the rowdiness of the lower classes. The royal family adopted "Happy Christmas" as their preferred greeting, and others took note.

As a matter of fact, every year, Queen Elizabeth continues to wish her citizens a "Happy Christmas," rather than a merry one. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this one)

According to historians, "Merry Christmas" has been in usage since at least 1534. A dated letter from bishop John Fisher to Henry VIII's chief minister Thomas Cromwell showcases as much. The English carol, "We Wish You a Merry Christmas," introduced in the 1500s, uses the popular phrase too. As such, it might come down to a simple grammatical lesson:

"Happy" describes an inner emotional condition, whereas "merry" is more of a behavior description—something active and maybe even raucous. We can take into consideration the free-spirited act of "merry-making" versus the state of simply "being happy."

People gradually stopped using "merry" as an independent word during the 18th and 19th centuries as the meanings of words developed and changed over time. Owing to the influence of Charles Dickens, the word "merry" stuck around in common idioms like "the more, the merrier," as well as in Christmas songs and stories. The Victorian Christmas defined a lot of today's Christmas traditions.

It comes as no surprise now that whenever we hear "Merry Christmas" we get nostalgic and dewy-eyed . Even the word "merry" alone makes us think of Christmas—December 25.

In my opinion, a merry cyberpunk Christmas would consist of rather than bringing death and destruction wherever you go, there would be a hand-to-hand combat skill tree where you fine-tune the combat much further, making it much more viable to punch monsters in the face. You get to live out your lawful good dreams and cure the sick of all their ailments.

What would you do?

In keeping with the Christmas spirit, here are some reading recommendations on Wattpad:

- Mistletoe in the Mortuary (Inspector Rames) by MorganMollyHunter

Blurb: 'Tis the season of merriness, murder, and post-mortems...

England, 2186. Mortuary pathologist Cassia Rames is a recent divorcee, and although she's not afraid on her own, she is lonely.

Homicide detective Sebastian Flynn is determined to fix that with his friendship -- but it's hard not to let their late-night hobbies turn into a fling. He believes he's no good for a woman like Cassia, no matter how tempting she is.

Cassia was a woman who wanted happy endings. Now she wants a man who doesn't do commitment, so being with Sebastian could be the perfect arrangement...if only he'd let her in.

https://www.wattpad.com/story/230013590-mistletoe-in-the-mortuary-inspector-rames

- BeastlyBattles: Santa's Curse of Christmas by chunkymello

Summary: Tim Walts a 12-year-old boy and his best friend Dave, two best friends that live in Palmlakes a decent city where life is normal. They have a power that no other human can have, brought from a realm of a lost planet. This power is incredibly strong and amazing, Tim wants to find out who he is and his powers along the way he encounters an unlikely brave girl fighting on treacherous battles and adventures. Life was normal for him in the good old days except when his father had to go to Antarctica to do Research and his friends and family went on vacation trips and beaches. When suddenly his father, friends, and family went missing. The search was on. Will they find their friends and family? Or are they dead or alive?

https://www.wattpad.com/story/184623965-beastlybattles-santa%27s-curse-of-christmas

- ROGER by LittleVee

Clara is stubborn and installs Roger inside her head in the most unconventional way, but because she's severed the ties to his programming, Clara is the only free citizen within a city that wants her mind... and her soul.

In 2102, after the fall of separate nations, the world stands unified and equal. Under the Province, citizens know only the perfection the Government has to offer.

And that's the only world Clara knows; simplicity and technological bliss. So, when Government officials announce the VF program, equipped with the highest artificial intelligence science has to offer, she is all for it. Who wouldn't want a computer assistant that not only takes care of your everyday needs, but is meant to be your bestest friend, too?It sounded as perfect as Province made life out to be. But all good things come with a price.

What no one knew about the program meant to mimic the human mind, was that it wanted the human soul. Because no utopia can be built on truths, and no amount of sublimity can cover lies.

Clara's only means of survival is the one rogue VF in her mind: Roger.

https://www.wattpad.com/story/136029188-roger

And with this, we come to the end of our article. The end is a beginning of something new, something beautiful.

Wish everyone "Happy Holidays and a blessedly wonderful New Year" ❤️ We'll meet soon with another issue. Ooorah!

Love you and take care ❤️ Cheers, Nab =] / Nablai