VIII. OPEN AND VULNERABLE

CHAPTER EIGHT
↳ open and vulnerable

CHAPTER EIGHT↳ open and vulnerable

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

Now, Maia was in no way experienced in the art of science or what not. She was an English Student for crying out loud, she read books and overanalysed them to a concerning state. She didn't care about Newton or Einstein, only Jane Austen and Mary Shelley.

"Ok so," the boy placed down what he had from the bag onto the table and the Peters and Maia crowded around him, waiting expectantly for him to elaborate. "I think I can repair the devices for Dylan and Marko but..."

Peter 3 grabbed onto one of the vials and flipped it, "well I've got Connors, I've already cured him once, no big deal." They all stared at him. "What it's no big deal."

"I'll help." Maia offered, tying her hair back and Peter 3 shook his head.

"No."

"Why?"

"Because I've done this before." He reasoned.

Maia nodded. "I know. But in my world you didn't get through it without me and Gwen's help. I'm helping."

"Fine you're helping." He sighed. "Why do you even want to help? You hate Chemistry."

Maia shrugged. "I can get by now." She reached for some goggles and put them on to protect her face from any potential hazards. "Your notebooks detailed a look on the sciences. I may not be focusing on it post High school, but I can still get by."

Peter 3 frowned at her. "My notebooks?"

"I know where you hide all your stuff Peter"

Peter scowled. "No you don't."

"Yes I do."

"Okay then, my sixth grade diary?"

Maia grinned. "Under your third pillow." She added more detail, "in the fold of it, you hide your stuff and stack other pillows up so people don't suspect anything."

"Dammit."

"You never were subtle." Maia snarked, feeling the happiness she'd always feel arguing with her brother. "It was sticking out of the side and was so noticeable."

"Why do you even go in my room?"

Maia shrugged. "You have useful stuff."

"Like?"

"The chocolate stash that you put in an old rucksack in your closet."

"It was you who was eating them?" Peter 3 gasped. "I convinced May we had a rat infestation!"

"Guess I'm a rat now." Maia handed him some gloves to put over the gloves he was already wearing. "So wait, who even is this Mysterio guy who exposed your world's Peter's identity?"

MJ, who was still looking between all the Peters with confusion, looked at Maia and sighed. "You're not gonna stop asking until I tell you, are you?"

Maia nodded in confirmation. When she saw the photo she gasped, "is that Jake Gyllenhaal?"

"What?"

"Taylor Swift's ex boyfriend!"

MJ looked at her phone and she nodded her head slightly. "They do look-alike."

"Damn, first he gaslit Taylor, now he gaslit the world."

Meanwhile, over by Ned and Peter 2, they were having a meaningful conversation on how Peter 2's best friend tried killing him.

Maia reminded herself to make sure none of her friends would try and kill her.

Amy the cat was moving around the lab a lot. Maia loved that cat probably more than she loved herself. That was true. She wouldn't stand for any Amy slander.

"Can you-uh-run a diagnostic?" Peter 1 asked Ned, focusing on what he was doing. He looked down and found Amy purring at his feet. "And who the hell let an ugly cat in here?"

"Maia did." Nearly everyone in the room said in unison.

Maia's mouth opened in shock. "Amy is not ugly! She is the most gorgeous cat I have ever laid my eyes on."

"Are you blind then?"

"If you aren't careful she'll piss on you."

Peter 3 squinted at Maia. "Calm down. Amy's beautiful, you need to focus, Mai."

"Fine." Maia pouted. "Why do you still look sad?"

Peter 3 frowned. "What?"

"You look very sad."

"Things just got shit for me."

"Is it about Gwen?" Maia asked, immediately feeling bad for pressing into such personal issues. "Sorry, if that was a bit forward, just she's very similar in grief to you."

"She's alive in your world?" Peter couldn't tear his face off Maia as she nodded.

"She is."

"Did she go to Oxford?" He immediately asked, expecting an answer that Maia didn't give.

"No."

"What?" Peter's heart felt like shattering. He knew just how much Oxford was Gwen's dream. "But it was her dream!?"

"Her dream was with you, Peter." Maia wiped her nose. "She stays with us at Christmas and even owns an Apartment a few blocks away. It's nice." Maia thought about Gwen and the grief she must have been feeling a lot nowadays. It was hard in general, but Maia wouldn't be able to understand Gwen's perspective. She loved Peter, she still loved him even now. She'd buy tulips from the local supermarket and leave them at his grave every Saturday because that's what he used to do for her. "She misses you."

"I miss her everyday." Maia could hear his voice break. "When you had- well - died," he swallowed, "Gwen visited everyday. She had lost her father but she still understood that I had lost you." He gave a short smile. "She reminded me that there still needed to be a Spider-man and that you would've wanted me to go on and continue being a hero. When she died- I-uh-"

"You didn't know if you could go on." Maia whispered, completing what he would've said. He nodded and Maia continued on, "when I watched you, or, well another version of you, die, I just remember the world slowing down and the wave of guilt hitting me because now my big brother was dying. It was hard, for everyone and I feel wrong for saying this but it felt harder for me sometimes." Maia nervously rubbed her hands. She felt so open and vulnerable, but she had to be. This was her only chance of proper closure. "I went to therapy, tried everything but no matter what I couldn't sleep or think without violently crying. I began having panic attacks on the daily and I really didn't think I was going to make it past sixteen."

"How old are you now?"

"Seventeen."

Peter smiled at her, leaning towards her and giving her a side hug. It was exactly the same to how her Peter would give her hugs.

"I'm so proud of you."

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

gotta love a little venting chapter for maia and peter

they deserve so much better

also gwen

my bby

i decided that if she lost peter then she wouldn't have gone to oxford due to grief and hence she didn't go to oxford

they all deserved better