Chapter 1 ~ The Pit

TW: Fighting, weapons, swearing, blood

Techno's POV:

I was sitting in the holding room. I was waiting for the huge doors to open. Silently waiting. It's not like I could do anything anyway. I held an iron axe. It didn't matter that I won every fight I've ever been in. That doesn't bring the glory you might think it does.

In The Pit you could win one of two ways. One, you could surrender so you won't die or two, you could fight to the death. It wasn't the best system, hell it was a horrible system. I've been in this system since I was 10. It's been 9 long, hard years. Before I could ponder my past any longer the huge doors opened and I took a deep breath. 

Just another day in this god forsaken life, I thought.

"PRESENTING THE UNDEFEATED BLOOD GOD!!" The announcer said. Sunlight found its way into my eyes and I was temporarily blinded by it. The Pit was a huge dirt pit about 20 feet below the first row of stands. It could fit up to 80,000 people and I have no idea how that many people would want to watch something so horrible.

I looked across the expanse of dirt and saw my opponent. Were they worthy? We were about to find out.

He's probably pathetic

Just like all the other ones

Kill, kill, kill, kill!!!!!

The voices were screaming in my head. This is the one place that I let them take over. Nothing could go wrong anyway. The system has yet to find me a worthy opponent.

"THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE BLOOD GOD AND SKEPPY MAY BEGIN!!!" The lame announcer shouted. The crowd went wild, most of them chanting my stage name, 'Blood God'. I evilly smiled at my opponent. Most of them immediately surrender once I get the first hit. I hoped it wouldn't happen this time because whenever it does I have to fight against a second person. It's tiring.

I approach the man who calls himself Skeppy. My royal cape flowed behind me and I was patiently taping my foot. Is he going to make the first move? I usually let the other make that move, it's a disadvantage to make the first move in The Pit.

Just as I expected he started to run at me with a small switchblade. I've heard that he actually wins with that small blade which is baffling to me. How could someone win with such a puny weapon?

I gracefully jumped to the side as he attempted to stab me in the shoulder. When he went for the second hit I quickly grabbed his forearm and twisted it so far that it shouldn't be possible. He screamed out in pain and stumbled back. I did feel a little bad for messing up his arm but I have to do it. My life or his and I'm definitely not choosing his to save.

I ran and swiftly punched him in the face which sent him flying a few feet back. He was pretty light considering his size. I was about 6 feet and 3 inches and this guy might've been 5''7 or 5''8.

I slowly walked over to the guy lying on the floor. I put one heavy boot on his chest and pointed my iron axe to his throat. He looked up at me with fearful eyes.

Ha! I called it!

He's just as worthless as all the others

Blood for the Blood God

"Do you surrender?" I asked him menacingly. The Voices, they always came in three. Never more and never less. 3, that number always haunted me. There were 3 men who came to take me away from my father. I usually get 3 hours of sleep. I used to have 3 siblings. It always came down to that horrible number. I hated it, so so much.

"Never," Skeppy replied. Without further hesitation I sliced his neck open. The blood got onto my blade and I cringed, I didn't want to clean that up later.

"AND THE BLOOD GOD STAYS UNDEFEATED!" The announcer says. The crowd goes wild and continues to chant my name. I hold up my bloody axe and turn in a circle before I retreat to the archway where I started this battle. It was an endless circle and hardly any motivation. I find it very demotivating that I have to end where I started.

The cheers fade from earshot and I dragged my feet on the floor. I was extremely tired and the adrenaline I had earlier was now wearing off. I usually don't get more than 3 hours of sleep and it's not consistent sleep either. At least I would have some quiet time on the underground bus.

After walking in the tunnels for what seems like forever I finally make it to the underground bus. The bus is black and looks like a limo except WAY less fancy. No one spends money on the system. It's such a cruel thing that everyone just calls it 'The system'.

I opened the rusty door and climbed in. I've been in the pit so many times that the driver already knows where to go. There are 6 districts, 1-3 are the upper districts and 4-6 are the lower districts. Each of them had a different sector for the system. Parents could sell their kids to the sectors for money. If you're in financial struggle. Have a kid! Then send them to the system for money. I scowled at the thought, I don't know how anyone could do that to a child.

The Pit was located directly in the middle of the circle that made up my world. I lived in district 4. 

There wasn't any scenery if I looked out the window, we're underground after all. I tried to fall asleep to make the trip shorter but I couldn't relax. I was dreading what was about to come and my mind was spinning.

Even though I won, Boss won't be happy. He's never happy. I took a deep breath, I was never ready for whatever punishment he had in store for me. You would think that my boss would help heal me so I could do better in the next fight. No, you've got it all wrong. He doesn't give a shit and will do whatever he wants.

Not like it's illegal

So why should the Boss care?

Stay strong...

But for who?

--------------------------------

Thank you for reading chapter 1 of my new book! This is a shorter chapter because it's like the introduction chapter. If you haven't noticed The Voices look like this: Voices, and Techno's thoughts look like this: Thoughts

Check out my other books!!!

*Alex <3*

Word Count: 1,127