Chapter 4

"Let's get started then. Shall we?"

"Do I even have a choice?" Harry asked, knowing he didn't truly. This was the primary reason why Riddle had assumably even accepted the invitation to meet in the first place.

Tom looked thoughtful for a moment before responding, "No. I suppose you don't."

Harry grew incredibly uncomfortable as the silence stretched into the atmosphere. Riddle seemed to be lost in his thoughts. Thoughts that Harry had no interest in knowing. All he cared was to leave this godforsaken manor, without spilling his deep hidden secrets, preferably without any bodily harm done to him or Adelaide.

Harry fiddled with the emergency portkey he had in his pocket. The attempt was futile, though. He had felt the anti-portkey and anti-apparition wards wash over him the moment he arrived. Nonetheless, he couldn't expect anything else from Lord Voldemort. If the rumours were true, this man was quite paranoid.

Abruptly, Riddle waved his wand. Harry flinched, turning around almost immediately. Confused as to why he pulled it out randomly. His eyes landed on the space in which Adelaide was supposed to be standing, keeping watch.

He was instantly alarmed, "Where's Adelaide, Riddle."

"I have merely sent her to one of the guest rooms. This is a private conversation that I would rather only have amongst ourselves," Sensing Harry's rejection of the idea, he quickly added, "she's getting treated wonderfully. Do not worry. Also, I ask politely that you refrain from using my previous name. Lord Voldemort or V as you so aptly put it in your letter to me when you broke out of Azkaban will suffice."

Harry blushed at the reminder, the letter to Voldemort had been an impulse. A very rash decision on his part, yet, Harry still harboured feelings for the man, somewhere in his dark, tainted soul which drove him to write that letter. A part that he would rather keep buried.

"Let's start with the events that took place on June 14th, 1943," Tom stated, pulling Harry's attention back to the man in front of him.

Gulping, Harry hesitantly nodded knowing he had no way of getting out of this position.

"I think the most obvious question is, why did you go to Azkaban for me? You and I had never interacted beyond formal greetings in the Slytherin common room and sometimes partnered in classes. That was it. What made that enough for you to go to Azkaban, a place that is horrifically described, for some student that you didn't even know?"

He felt an uncomfortable itch settle in on his body. Harry shifted in the leather armchair, trying to make himself more comfortable as well as seem the least bit bothered by the discussion at hand.

"Well, erm," He spoke eloquently, attempting to find the right words, "I knew of your goals and I knew you were implementing them into society using the Knights of Walpurgis excellently. You knew what you were doing and could've helped people realize the error of the restrictive bills that were being published in favour of light magic users. It would've been wasted talent."

"Is that your only reason?" Riddle asked, leaning slightly forward towards him, chin resting in his hands. His expression was one of faux innocence.

"Yep. Definitely." Harry replied shortly, consciously knowing Riddle could tell he was being dishonest. The man always had an uncanny ability to tell when someone was lying. Harry had seen him making an example out of many who had lied to him in the Slytherin common room.

Harry could only hope Riddle wouldn't call him out on it.

"Now, Harry. Both you and I know that isn't true."

Nevermind. Hope lost.

"I'd rather not discuss further Ridd- Voldemort," Harry declared, daringly, rising from the armchair. He should've been in Gryffindor, "I'm sure I've answered enough to satiate your desires. Kindly bring back Adelaide so I can leave. Perhaps your question can be answered at a later date."

Riddle laughed. "Do you think you're in a position to give orders? To me?"

His expression contorted to one of outrage, "No, but you won't kill me. Nor would you cause me much harm. It's clear you'd like my allegiance, otherwise, you wouldn't have agreed to the meeting."

"And how can you be so sure about that, Harry? For all you know, I could've only arranged this meeting to get answers."

"Because you haven't killed me yet. Now please give back Adelaide. I'm afraid I have somewhere to be very early tomorrow morning."

Riddle seemed to analyze him for a moment as if taking in Harry in a whole new light. "Alright, Fine. But don't think for a second this is over Harrison Potter. You will be seeing more of me soon enough."

"Perfect!" Harry chirped happily, standing from his position in the armchair feeling quite pleased. He had survived the meeting with Riddle and surprisingly did not get tortured after showing disrespect.

Is Lord Voldemort going soft? Harry thought, an amused smirk making its way on his face.

A few moments later, Adelaide reappeared in the same spot she had been before she was magically whisked away by Riddle.

"Thank you, Voldemort. I shall await your next summons."