Chapter 20: Uncertainty

Your POV 

Running  down the street I was late for a delivery. That's right, I'm the Storybrooke courier. I'm on foot for the Summer and Fall, but drive the mail truck when the Winter and Spring roll around. My shoes were smacking the sidewalk as I ran down the main street. Things were fine until a door opened for one of the shops which made me clip the side of it and hit the sidewalk with a loud thud. 

"Are you all right?" 

The wind was knocked out of me. Rolling onto my side slowly as I gasped for air, I got up slowly, using the side of the shop to support myself while holding my stomach. Damn does that hurt. Slowly looking over to the shop owner as he awaited for my answer. He had a suit, a cane, shoulder length hair. He was older, probably late 40s to mid 50s or so if I had to guess. 

"Yeah, I'm okay. I should really slow down sometimes." I gave a nervous laugh and a small awkward smile. 

As soon as he saw my face, he stopped as if he had saw a ghost. His mouth hung open a little as he looked at me. Raising a brow as I leaned on the wall, holding my stomach as I steadied my breathing a bit more before moving off the wall. I had some bruises for sure, the soreness was already setting in. 

"Are you all right? You look like you've seen a ghost." 

Blinking he glanced down the street before averting his eyes to the sidewalk. Tapping his cane on the ground before he nodded. "Yeah. Nothing to worry about. I'll let you get back to your deliveries." 

Without another word he turned and started to walk off down the sidewalk. Furrowing my brows as I watched him disappear around a corner I blinked for a moment.

That was the weirdest thing ever. Glancing up at the sign above the shop I hummed gently. Mr. Gold's Pawn Shop. Shrugging before turning I started walking down the sidewalk in the opposite direction.

Gold's POV

How long has she been in Storybrooke? Why was Regina keeping her a secret, and why didn't she know who I was? 

Hobbling down to the Mayor's home I got up the front stoop and rang the doorbell before banging on the door.

"Oh Madame Mayor!"

The door opened and Regina's smug face was in front of my hand as I went to hit the door again, sadly stopping before it hit her.

"Yes, gold? What is it?"

"How long were you going to keep it from me?"

She blinked blankly at me. "Keep what from you?"

"That (y/n) is in Storybrooke!" Taking a breath for a second before looking at her again. "Why doesn't she remember who I am?"

"The only one that was supposed to remember who they were when Emma got into town was you, no one else is supposed to remember." (I think that's right idk man)

Growling for a moment she gave a smug smirk. "What is it Rumpelstiltskin, are you mad?"

She gave a laugh before she went back inside, closing the door in my face. The wind hit me as she closed the door, the smell of baked apples swirling around for a bit.

Turning on my heels I walked back towards the shop, maybe there was something I could do to get her memories back. I would just have to try.

Turning the corner that I hurried by earlier, I was hit with something. Blinking as I was snapped from my thoughts, it was her.

Placing my hands on her shoulders gently as I steadied three girl, my eyes watching her closely. It's truly felt like an eternity, the entire length of my immortal life has ticked by slowly as if I've never met her, it only picking up the pace as it should be after seeing her for the first time.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Gold. I didn't see you around the corner." Laughing awkwardly she tucked some hair behind her ear, her eyes squinting with the raising of her cheeks.

"That's not a problem, Dearie. Just..." pausing as her (e/c) eyes looked into mine. Losing my train of thought for a moment. "Just be careful from now on"

Smiling up at me slightly she nods. My hands had found their way to my sides again as they held onto the cane. Giving her the ability to get around me and disappear to finish her duties.

Getting into my shop and shivering from the wind a bit I went directly to the back room looking for something that might help. I needed a way to break the curse that was on the town, I wanted- needed (y/n) to remember me again.

The only one who knows how to reverse it is Regina, I had no part in the nitty gritty details, just they Emma's name works make me remember.

Rubbing my temples as I thought I sat down slowly. Perhaps Regina already had a plan since she was making her Apple Fritters, and everyone knows about her apples.

~

Hey guys, I know it's been a while, I just wanted to say thank you for reading so much and that this story isn't abandoned, I just have a second job that's taken a lot of my energy and time!