《 secrets part two 》

"Uh, she isn't puckering yet," Ro observed, sporting a frown. "Gah, why isn't there a cure to this oblivion?"

"Hush," Keefe commanded, turning his attention back to Sophie.

"Marella?" Sophie guessed, unease blooming in her chest. Her options were low. Sure, there were a lot of blondes out there — but in their friend group? Not so many.

Keefe laughed, interrupting her words. "You're ridiculous, you know that?"

Sophie scowled. "You flirt with everyone!"

"Not true." Keefe shifted on their shared swing, his head shaking back and forth. "I've only flirted with one girl for over two years."

Before Sophie could argue — or disagree — Keefe started again.

"Why is it," he said, voice soft, "that you think I flirt with everyone?"

Her body grew weak.

"Say it," Keefe said.

"No."

"Say it, Foster. I'm doing this for your benefit."

Sophie breathed deeply, wanting desperately to crawl into a hole. "You flirt with me . . ."

Keefe nodded. While his face was serene, Sophie could see the panic in his eyes. From his point of view, telling her this was definitely a nightmare. "Have you ever considered," Keefe asked, "that I reserve my teasing only for you?"

"No," she said honestly. "Why would you?"

"I could answer that question in a dozen different ways, but you wouldn't believe any of them."

Sophie studied him. Her voice was alternating from somewhere high and squeaky to a low, painful whimper. She decided the best option here was to listen to Keefe rather than try to speak.

"Remember," Keefe said, "right before we went to nightfall? I was telling you why I didn't flirt with Biana. I never liked her the way she likes me."

Sophie nodded.

"Well," he continued, "have you ever seen me flirt with anyone else?"

"Yes," Sophie said.

"Care to elaborate?"

"I don't need to! You're ridiculous. Heavens, Keefe — you flirt with yourself."

He smirked, running a hand through his handsome mess of hair. But before he could make an unbearably smug comment, Ro cut in.

"Nah," she decided. "He's not worth it, Blondie. He can't even admit his feelings!"

"Yes I can!" Keefe announced. "Foster's just a little brain-dead today."

Sophie didn't take offense to that because he'd thrown a teasing smile in her direction. But then she scooted away when she noticed his wink. He was flirting again — flirting with her.

She took a deep breath. "Why don't you save the flirting for someone you actually like?"

"Don't screw up," Ro muttered to Keefe. His lips were already shaping words.

"I did better," Keefe decided, completely ignoring Ro's lack of faith in him. His attention had fixed on Sophie, eyes clear as glass. "I saved it for someone I love."

Sophie's hands shook. A wave crashed on the beach and she clung to the sound, desperate for anything normal. Keefe taking her hands affectionately was anything but.

"You want to believe me," Keefe said, leaving Sophie disappointed he was only holding her hands to read her emotions. "But you can't."

She gave herself a moment's pause before speaking. "It's just . . . everyone always teases you for liking me. I thought it was all just a joke."

"You were never a joke to me." His voice was cotton, so soft it was tangible.

"You've considered the possibility then?"

"Of us? Absolutely." Keefe tried for a grin, but it lacked his usual confidence.

"He dreams about it every night," Ro added.

Sophie glowered at Ro. "Can we banish her? Just for a little while?"

Ro grinned at her charge. "You've got a feisty girl on your hands."

"Yes I do," Keefe agreed. "And she's right. You need to leave or we're all going to be uncomfortable."

"I'll be watching from the window," she warned after a moment's consideration.

After she left, Sophie whimpered, just softly enough to catch Keefe's attention. "What's wrong?" he asked, then preceded to swear under his breath. "I'm sorry — should I have waited?"

"No. I think it's sweet that you think you love me —"

"Know," Keefe corrected. "I know I love you."

A tear trailed down her cheek. "Okay," she agreed. "But it doesn't matter. I'm — I'm not ready for a relationship."

"I assumed you'd say that."

"I'm sorry."

Sophie let her feet trail along the patio as Keefe swung them gently. The breeze was a nice distraction as she mulled over this whole conversation. More than anything, though, Sophie thought over Fitz's version of love compared to Keefe's. One boy had offered her love under limitations, while this one was offering her patience and love without limits.

"Foster . . ." Keefe trailed off as he watched her think. "I never expected you'd want me as anything more than a friend. But I'll wait for you anyway. I'll wait for you even if you don't end up choosing me." His breathing pattern increased. "I'll wait for you even if —"

Sophie paused his words with a hug around his waist. "Keefe," she said through a smile, "did you know you're a gentleman?"

Caught off guard, he laughed shakily. "Uh, that kind of ruins my bad boy image."

"Good."

"You love teasing me, don't you?"

Sophie looked up at him, pondering over the possibilities the future might bring. For now, it would have to wait. But she still smiled as she met his eyes. "It's called flirting."