Chapter 3....

"You know, Kayla, I have the perfect guy for you to date. My grandson is single and I think you would be perfect for him."

"Have you been eavesdropping, Mrs. Aldertree?" I ask, my hands making quick work of unhooking her from the IV. This change of topic was definitely not random.

"I wouldn't call it eavesdropping; the nurses just happened to be talking loudly. Not my fault they don't know how to control their voices." I couldn't hold back a smile at her words. Seeing Mrs. Aldertree instantly made me feel better. She wasn't your typical sweet, caring, grandma. No, she had attitude, something I liked.

"And these nurses happened to mention my name?"

"Oh, honey, the moment I heard your name I was going to go right up to them and ask why they were talking about you, but you see, I got curious. Is it true you haven't had sex in three years?" My eyes went wide at that and I took a step back.

"Mrs. Aldertree!" I could feel my cheeks getting warm. Were Mindy and Kelly just broadcasting my sex life throughout the hospital?

"It is okay, sweetie. Once you get to a certain age it all stops anyway...well, not me and my Henry."

"Okay, that is enough with this conversation." I interrupted her. There was no way I was going to talk about sex with someone who could be my grandma.

"Kayla, I—" she started to say, but she was interrupted again—this time not by me.

"Honey." In came Henry Aldertree, her husband of forty-plus years.

"Darling." I stood back and watched them greet each other. Because of hospital policy he couldn't stay the night, and of course, his wife wouldn't let him sleep in the uncomfortable chairs. It was so cute, watching them interact together. You could tell they were still in love after all these years. It was that kind of love that gave you hope that real love was out there.

"Well, you two, everything looks great," I said, coming into the conversation a minute later. "Someone will be in here in just a few minutes with your discharge papers."

"Oh good. We can get you home." Henry squeezed his wife's hand and smiled at her.

"Just make sure you take it easy for a while, okay? We don't need you back in here with another heart attack. Eat your fruits and vegetables, go for walks."

"Yeah, yeah." She waved me off, but I knew by the look on Henry's face he would make her do all those things.

"I have to get going. But you two take care. I don't want to see you in here again, Mrs. Aldertree." I gave her a stern look.

"Thank you, sweetie. Don't forget about my grandson. He would be really good for you," she said, and even sent me a wink.

"I'll keep it in mind." I patted her hand before saying my goodbyes again. While I have loved seeing Mrs. Aldertree these past few days, I am happy she is leaving. I don't want patients to stay here forever just so I can see them. I just hoped she took it easy and didn't have another heart attack.

I was walking down the hallway, heading back to the nurses' desk when my pager went off. Glancing down at it, I saw the number two, this meant the ER needed me. It would take hours to explain how many codes there were in the hospital.

Once I reached the elevator, I tapped my foot impatiently as I waited. Going down to the ER, you had to expect anything. Things could change on a dime down there, and for most people, it gets to be really insane. I've only had to be down there a few times after big accidents, and it was enough to make me glad I wasn't permanently down there.

Finally able to get into an elevator, I pressed myself into the corner. I hated the dreadful silence that followed an elevator ride. Riding one was a lot worse here at a hospital; you could just feel so much grief.

The moment I walked into the ER, I understood why they paged me. Nurses and doctors ran from one room to another. Through the doors straight ahead, I could see a lot of people sitting and standing around. With it being almost winter and flu season in full swing, I bet most of the people were here for those reasons. And, of course, because of the rain, I bet there were a few accidents.

When the head nurse, Maggie, saw me, she immediately put me to work. Because I wasn't exactly trained to deal with certain trauma, I went to the rooms where the injuries or symptoms were less high profile.

It was definitely a busy day down here as I moved from one room to another. I didn't mind it though; all the work kept my mind off of how tired I was and it made time go by faster. I just finished checking a little boy with the flu when Maggie once more called me over.

Weaving around other nurses and even patients, I finally reached her. I quickly took off my gloves and threw them in a bin beside her.

"Yeah?"

"New patient in Trauma Room Four. Male, about twenty-eight years old. He is the one who pulled the man out of the car before it blew up. Has slight burns on his hand and arm, as well as a few cuts." I raised an eyebrow as she spoke. Wow, someone pulling a man out of his car before it blew up was pretty heroic.

"Trauma Four, you said?" I asked. Receiving a nod, I turned and headed to Room Four to patch this hero up.

Before I entered the room, I pulled on some gloves and shouldered the door open.

"Hello, I am Nurse Winters," I said as I pulled the curtain to the side. Looking straight up, I froze at who I saw. Never in a million years did I think I would be seeing that face again.

Sitting in front of me was none other than Brett Perkins.

My ex-boyfriend.