Making A Plan

We drive to a restaurant. Nat and Yelena get beers and I get a water. I am sitting next to Yelena on her left and Nat is sitting across from Yelena. We watch some kids playing in the street outside of the restaurant.

Yelena puts some disinfectant that she got from the store on her cut she got from the car crash earlier. It definitely stings. I don't have any cuts just a lot of bruises. A lot of them are from the Red Room though.

"That gas, the counter agent." says Yelena. "Did you have a choice?" asks Nat. "What do you experience with psychological conditioning? I'm talking about chemically altering brain functions. They're two completely different things. I'm still not sure." says Yelena.

Nat gets up and sits next to Yelena's other side. They look at each other. "Is that all there is left?" asks Nat. Then she blows on Yelena's cut. "He makes more everyday. Children who don't have anyone to protect them." says Yelena. I tense hearing this.

"Just like us when we were small, maybe one in twenty survives the training. The rest he kills. To him we're just things weapons with no face that he can just throw away because there is always more," says Yelena.

While Yelena talks Nat patches up Yelena's cut. Nat finishes and goes back to her chair across from Yelena.

"Anyway, on a some what happier note, did you ever look for your parents? Your real ones," says Yelena. "My mom abandoned me. What about you?" says Nat. "The Red Room destroyed my birth certificate so I reinvented it. My parents still live in Ohio. My older sister moved out west. My little sister lives with me," says Yelena.

"Is it all right?" asks Nat. "You're a science teacher. You're working part time though. Especially after you had your son. Your husband, he renovates houses," says Yelena.

"That is not my story," says Nat. "What is your story?" asks Yelena. "I never let myself be alone long enough to think about it," says Nat.

"Did you ever wish for kids?" says Yelena. "That thought hasn't crossed my mind. I guess I do have a kid now, Lizzie," says Nat and I get up and hug her. Nat pulls me onto her lap. I chill here for a few minutes. Then I go back to my chair. "I want a dog," says Yelena. "Awesome!" I say.

We sit in silence for a moment. "Where are you two gonna go?" asks Nat. "I don't know. I don't really have anywhere to go back to so I guess anywhere," says Yelena. I nod in agreement.

"Don't," says Yelena. "Don't what?" asks Nat. "You're going to give me some big hero speech. I can feel it," says Yelena. "Speeches aren't really my thing," says Nat. "Oh," says Yelena. "It was more of an invitation," says Nat.

"To go to the Red Room and kill Dreykov?" asks Yelena. "Yeah," says Nat. "Even though the Red Room is impossible to find and Dreykov is too slippery to kill," says Yelena. "Yeah," says Nat. "That sounds like a shitload of work," says Yelena. "Yep," says Nat. "It could be though," says Nat. "Yep," says Yelena. "Yeah, I guess it will." I say.

"I saw where you put the keys," says Nat. "Top drawer green cabinet," says Yelena. Keys to what I wonder in my mind.

Then we do cheers with our drinks and we take a sip. We leave the restaurant.

Then we get in a Corvette. Nat drives, Yelena has shotgun, and I am in the backseat behind Nat. As we drive we are talking about Yelena's vest.

"You know, this is the first piece of clothing I ever bought for myself," says Yelena. "That?" says Nat. "You don't like it?" asks Yelena. "Is that like a... an army surplus?" asks Nat. "Okay! It has a lot of pockets, but I use them all the time and I made some of my own modifications," says Yelena.

Then she stops talking because Nat was annoying her. "Yelena, I like it!" I say. "Thank you, Lizzie," says Yelena. Nat is laughing.

"Shut up! The point is I've never... I've never had control over my own life before and now I do. I want to do things," says Yelena. "I like your vest," says Nat. "God. I knew it! I knew you did! It's so cool right?" says Yelena. "It's good," says Nat. "Yes and you can put so much stuff in there and you wouldn't even know," says Yelena.

After their conversation I realize that the only reason I am able to stay awake is because we are driving at night which is my favorite time to be out.

"Lizzie, you should get some sleep, you look exhausted," says Nat looking at me in the mirror. "I'm not tired," I say as I yawn. "Mmhm," says Yelena.

"Just like old times," I say. "Yep!" says Nat. "Exactly," says Yelena. I smile.

"Now, I suggest you find a way to fall asleep because you're in for a long few days," says Nat. "You both realize that I'm technically 25, right? And that I have enhancements," I say. "Yeah, but unfortunately for you, you're stuck in the body and mind of a six year old, and six year olds need a lot of sleep," says Nat.

Yep! That's my Natasha. Always the practical one. Yelena on the other hand, is more... what's the phrase I'm looking for? Oh, yeah. Fun.

"Nat, how about Lizzie stays up until she falls asleep?" says Yelena. "Yeah!" I say. "Fine. But I swear, if you complain about being tired tomorrow, that's entirely you and Yelena's fault," says Nat. "Lovely," I say.

I look out the window for a little while. "Nat, Yelena, thank you," I say. "For what?" asks my older sisters. "For not leaving me or taking me back there," I say. The "there" I'm referring to is the Red Room.

"I would never take you back there," says Natasha. "Oh, heck no! You are never going back there unless it's when we destroy it," says Yelena. "Perfect," I say.

The only thing that I can't figure out for the life of me is why did my parents let them take us in the first place? I clear my mind of the Red Room and my parents and just think about how happy I am to be reunited with my sisters. I close my eyes and drift into a peaceful sleep instantly.