Runs in the Family

Sally
I stare blankly at the front of the room. To be honest I've been zoned out all of class but I don't really care. I'm good at history so I'll be able to catch up easily, besides all my friends are in this class with me and I'm sure Todd is sending Larry the answers anyway.

I snap back into my senses when I notice everyone staring at me "Mr. Fisher? Are you paying attention?" the teacher gives me an ugly glare. Shit. She must've asked me something while I was zoned out. Who knows how many times she called my name "Yes ma'am, sorry" she rolls her eyes. "Well are you coming?" Coming? Coming where? I must have been called to the front of the room. Or maybe I'm supposed to take something to the office... Or I lost something and I need to go pick it up..

"Coming where Ma'am?" She rolled her eyes again. "To draw your partners name? Are you sure your paying attention?" I then notice a large blue bowl sitting on her desk that I didn't see before. We're probably doing a partner project. In that case I should be fine. I stand up with a quirk sorry and catch the glare of a dark boy with blonde hair and a purple jacket, Travis. Honestly the odds are on my side. I don't mind anyone in this class besides Travis and I'm sure I won't get him, I mean what are the chances?

I reach into the bowl that's placed sand pull out a card. Hesitantly I unfold it. I read the name to myself before saying it out loud. My face goes pale. I feel almost sick. Why me? Why today? With a sigh I read the card to the class.

"Travis Phelps."

I notice Travis' face look a bit shocked and then extremely disappointed. It's times like this that I'm greatful I wear my prosthetic because I'm sure the face I'm making isn't very nice. I see Ash in the back of the room mouthing I'm so sorry and Larry next to her silently laughing and making an L with his fingers at me. Todd just looks confused. This is great.

I walk back to my seat and pitifully wait for everyone to finish drawing before the bell rings. It's my sixth hour class so when I leave I group with my friends before I can even walk out the door I feel a slap on the back of the head

"Jesus dude I can't believe you got that bad luck!" It's Larry. "Shut up man. Who's you even get?" "Ash!" "What the hell that's not fair!" He laughs and we walk Ash and Todd catching up with us.

Everyone's talking before we head out. I'm in my own world again. I don't even know what this project is about let alone how to do it. I'm so pissed. Why did I have to have Travis as a partner?

Among our conversation I hear a different voice "Hey Faggots." I turn my head to see Travis walking towards us. It seems his remark caught everyone's attention. "What do you want Travis?" I say. He rolls his eyes "You're number? We're doing the project together we kinda have to stay in touch" "Oh- right.. Give me your phone."

He nods and gives me his phone. As I type in my number I can tell he's staring at me watching my every move so I decide to play with that. Once I finish I write Hey babe and send it to myself. With a smile I return his phone.

"What the fuck? How do I delete that? That's fucking gross! Faggot!" Everyone's laughing now and Travis' face is beat red as he tries to delete the message. I get a ding from my phone seeing that it was sent. Hey gorgeous ;) I respond. Travis is beyond pissed now. "Cut it out fag! You're not fucking funny!" "I think it's kinda funny" Larry chimes in through his own laughter.

I notice Travis' eyes are starting to well up with tears. I've never seen him cry before... Why would he because of some harmless joke. "Dude- relax I'm just messing with you. Uh- oh can I come over to your house later today to work on the project? Or does tomorrow work better for you?" If looks could kill, I'd be dead. Travis shakes his head "Can we go to your house?" "Why? I just asked to go to yours?" Travis shakes his head again for some reason.