Pt. 2: Chapter One

TRISTAN

My fingers tapped rapidly as I looked down at the notes app on my phone. There was at least fifteen people in the room, yet all I could hear was my thoughts. Blood streaming from my nostrils down to my feet...maddened screams from my father...the crackling of fire in the middle of December. Memories once forgotten loved hitting me like a freight train especially in public nowadays. It's always sh-t I wished I could've continued not remembering and kept suppressed inside of me, but my therapist said diving into some deep rooted traumatic memories could help me. I knew she was right, but f-ck, the sh-t could get overwhelming sometimes.

"Tristan!" I felt a slap on my shoulder and my eyes quickly darted from my phone to the person standing in front of me. Nya. She startled me. "Damn, why do you look like you saw a ghost? My make up isn't bad, is it?" Nya took her phone that was in her hand and started checking herself out in the camera.

I sighed and slipped my phone back into my front pocket. Going through triggering memories probably was not the best thing to do at my ex-wife's intimate Netflix movie premiere party. My back was placed firmly against the wall as if it was glued there. I detached myself from it and stretched putting my arms up in the air before putting them back down to my side. "Sorry, I was just writing something," I told her. "You look perfectly fine, Nya."

"Well, thank you," she said with a grin as she stopped looking at herself in her phone's camera. "You know, you should really talk to some people here."

I looked around the room at the people who became Nya's friends in the past year and a half. Most of them gave off mad Hollywood vibes. Sure, I was about to release an anticipated R&B album later this year. Sure, I had some hit collaborations with some of the music industry's heavy hitters since I started releasing music, but even I wasn't as Hollywood as her. I still kept around the same friends, Kobe, Zayn and Nick. Nya had so many new friends and they all seemed so...superficial. Like are they really your friend or do they want you to post them on your Instagram so some of your followers can follow them?

Nya questioned me with a "Hello," when I didn't say anything. There I go, lost in my thoughts again. It seemed like surface level sh-t just couldn't keep my attention these days anymore.

"Hmm?"

Nya scoffed and roll her eyes. "Tristan, you need to talk to somebody here. There's a couple cute girls in here, you know? Actually, one of my friends lowkey has a crush on you." I groaned and this time, I rolled my eyes at Nya. She was always trying to set me up with one of her Tik Tok famous besties.

"I don't want to f-ck with anybody that makes Tik Toks for a living. I'm sorry," I said before she could even tell me which girl had their eye on me. I promise no one here could get any kind of heart eyes out of me.

"Damn, you so rude. You know what, it's okay though. You know why," Nya asked as she tried to hide a smirk. I raised an eyebrow at her as the smirk revealed more and more. "I invited someone we mutually know. I didn't know they were coming, but they just texted me and said they were on their way and to not start the movie without them."

I crossed my arms and leaned back against the wall. "Who's this mutual mysterious person?"

"Guess!"

"Nya, I see you're already drunk if you think I'm about to sit here and guess some grown ass person's name with you. Where's your woman at anyway," I asked, looking around for Crystal. She needed to get her fiancée and mess with her rather than bothering me. Like damn, I know it's her party but honestly I just wanted to be left alone and watch the premiere of the movie in silence. Tonight just wasn't one of my best social nights, I guess.