Chapter 12 - Gül

– Özgür, you cannot do that. – Deniz massaged her temples, barely holding in a sigh. Özgür was a smart man, but it's been as if he turned his brain off right now. He was ready to believe that woman without any question. – You cannot claim the boy as yours without taking paternity test first. It would be stupid.

– Derin has never lied to me. Why would she start now?

– I don't know and frankly, I don't care. What I'm telling you here is what I would tell any of my clients. – She leaned back. – Hell, that's what I'd advise any of my friends. Özgür, please, be smart about it. A court ordered test will take a couple of weeks tops. After seven years it really shouldn't be a factor.

Özgür bit on his lip and looked around. They were sitting on the balcony, just the two of them, trying to untangle this legal mess. It was obvious Deniz was right. Paternity test was the smart move, one neither he nor Ezgi even thought about since yesterday when Derin dropped the bomb. He could only blame it on the state of shock they were still in, despite the fact they felt better today. It's been almost twenty four hours, the sun has risen and was now setting and the day somehow just slipped away.

– In four days Ezgi and I are getting married. She's flying out to Italy tomorrow to make sure everything is ready.

– I know. We won't be able to deal with this before the wedding. It's gonna have to wait till you guys come back. – Deniz leaned in and forced Özgür to look her in the eyes. – Which is kinda perfect. We can have the court order and the test done before you leave and we'd get the results after you're back in Istanbul. And then we go from there.

Tamam. – Özgür sighed and rubbed his face. – What a mess.

– It is, but we'll figure it out.

Ezgi was slicing cucumbers for the salad. The sound of the knife rhythmically hitting the chopping board put her in sort of a trans and her thoughts were a million miles away. She kept seeing the boy, Ozzy, reading a book by the table. He did look like Özgür, but something seemed off. She couldn't quite place her finger on it. A short sigh escaped her lips.

– Everything OK?

She forgot Ozan was right next to her, making kebabs and roasting bell peppers.

– Yes. I just keep thinking about Ozzy.

– It must've been a shock.

– Yeah. – She licked her fingers and moved to wash the tomatoes. – You know, on the one hand I get that Derin didn't want to be tied down, married and so on. But on the other... I don't know, I think I call BS. There is no law that would stop all of them from traveling as a family.

– Yeah. It would've been easier, right? Two adults taking care of a kid. – Ozan nodded. – I'll tell you something, but don't repeat it to Özgür. I never liked her.

– No?

– It's true that she was fun to be around, always joking and playing. But she was very controlling and always needed to be in the center of the attention. – He turned the kebabs over. The smell was intoxicating. – It was always about what she wanted and if we chose a different activity, she'd pout in the corner all evening. It was not that she was malicious. She was just spoiled beyond any reason.

– So this come back after years, because now she's ready, is very much like her?

– Sad to say it, but it is. And from what Özgür said, she didn't care how the boy would take it. She was just going to introduce him to his father. That's reckless and thoughtless. – He took a better look at Ezgi. Her eyes were red and puffy and the typical spark was gone. – Ezgi, how are you feeling? Just be honest.