PARADISE

CHAPTER 5

The late morning sun streamed through our bedroom window, forcing me to awaken. The blue sky and the ordered movement of people going about their day, outside my window, belied the chaos that had befallen Paradise the day before. Pushing off the dark green coverlet, I glanced over at Kenny's still sleeping form. His face had regained some of its color, but had not lost the telltale signs of stress from the day before. Moving quietly, to allow him to continue sleeping, I made my way across the polished floorboards and went into the kitchen.

Lighting the wood-fired cooker, I put the old, black kettle on to boil. Leaning against the countertop bench, barefoot, cloaked in one of Kenny's old shirts, I glanced around at our pine wooded kitchen; the pots, gleaming on their hooks, dishes neatly stacked on the buffet shelves, the small dining table ready for its occupants. The clean, ordered warmth, reinforcing the feeling of normality, of yesterday's events, being nothing but an aberration, or a bad dream.
Grabbing the tin that held the tea, and two white cups, I prepared breakfast. Taking the tray into our room and laying it on the bedside table, I climbed back onto the bed and gently kissed Kenny into wakefulness. Sleepily, he reached for me and pulling me close, responded; his kisses infinite and warm, his beard gently caressing my cheeks. Running my fingers through his soft, dark hair; I held him close.

"Morning, sleepy-head", I whispered.

"Mornin' Owl", he smiled as he let me go and sat himself up in bed, using the pillows as support.

Sitting on the covers, beside him, I handed him his tea.

He took a sip, and grimacing slightly said, " Never really got a taste for this stuff, but this mornin' ya gotta get me some whiskey, Owl. I can't drink this dish-water, not unless ya make it Irish!".

Returning with a fresh bottle of whiskey, I opened it and topped up his tea.

"Glad ta see that ya left me some, after all!" he quipped, smiling sarcastically at me and taking a gulp of his 'improved' beverage. "Aahh, now THAT'S much betta! Makes a man feel like gettin' up in the mornin'....well except for ya perdy self! Ya can get a man ta stand ta attention, afore he's even opened his eyes!" he winked, running his free hand along my bare thigh, leisurely creeping it under my shirt.

I felt the familiar flush of warmth as his hand curved its way to my breasts, and back down to my panties, my breath quickening. He placed his tea on his bedside table, and pulling back the covers, reached for me; pulling me on top of him, removing my clothes, kissing my lips, my neck, his mouth moving slowly over every part of me. Moans of pleasure escaped my lips as he loved me. I could feel his strength, his love, pouring into me, as my mouth sought his, drinking him in, drowning in the pleasure of him.

Lying in his arms, it was he who spoke first, "Ya make it all betta, Jas. No matter what. Comin' back home ta ya keeps me this side o' sane".

"Are you talking about what happened yesterday?" I asked him, stroking the tufts of black hair on his chest.

"Yeah, does kinda spring ta mind!" he answered, with an ironic chuckle. " Shit, Jas, I thought I'd seen an' done it all. I thought there were nothin' left in this world that could surprise or scare me. But yesterday! Shit! They're all dead. Jus' like that", he snapped his fingers. " An' there weren't a damn thing I could do 'bout it".

"You said that it wasn't the Queen's Titan that attacked Wall Maria. How do you know? And if it wasn't her Titan, then what titan was it? Was it just one of the many that roam outside the Walls? Why? How?" I questioned him.

" That, I don' rightly know. All I do know is that word came through to the Queen and the Council, from the Garrison, 'bout a titan, bigger than any ever seen afore. An' it were sorta weird lookin' with a superhuman kinda strength. An' that it were breakin' down the gate that led ta the outside, in Wall Maria. Even afore everyone else in Mitras knew 'bout the attack, Rod ordered me ta get 'em all ta Reiss Chapel on his estate", he began.